Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to determine whether the Rasboras in this photograph (http://aquatika.en.eresmas.com/fotos/asia8xl.jpg) are of a different variety, or are representative of the two sexes in one variety. One can see a difference between those fish that are paler red in color, the black marking of which extend to the base of the belly, and the flourescent orange fish, the black marking of which is much smaller.

So, are they male and female, or different varieties? The reason I ask is that all of my rasboras look like the larger, more pale red fish in this picture.

Any insight will be appreciated.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Well they could be genetically altered like the danios. They now have orange, yellow, and green out. Could also be painted though. Hard to tell.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I believe there two different varieties one is Trigonostigma heteromorpha those are the ones with more black and the other one is Trigonostigma espei while those have more orange. hope that helps

·
Registered
676 Posts
There's also T. Hengli which has the same slender body as the espei, but withough the overall orange body coloration. The orange line is still there following the contour of the black wedge, but the body color is more like a Glowlight tetra.

·
Administrator
7,388 Posts
That looks like a mixed school of heteromorpha and espei. The latter are the ones with the neon orange color and the thinner hatchet.

I don't know what to make of the fish on the top left.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts