Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been having trouble keeping my H. Zosterfolia in nice shape.
Tank is a 75 gallon with pressurized CO2 during the day (off at night), about 350 watts of fluorescent light, and fert levels as follows:

PO4: 0.5-1.5 ppm
NO3: 10-15 ppm
K: unknown, but dose about 20ppm worth every 3-4 days
Fe: 0.1ppm or thereabout, dosed by CSM+B. (every 3 days)
KH: 2-3ppm
GH: unknown, but dose 10-15ppm Mg and ~20ppm Ca every 4 days (seperately)

Water changes are done with RO water and enough baking soda to up the KH to 3.

The leaves get black lines on them going across the length of the leaves....only the newest growth (last day or two) looks the "way it should". One thing I don't keep great tabs on is the Ca (and K I guess - isn't measured). The plant also fails to stay rooted for long and upper growth often detaches from the lower part (rots?). It doesn't get a ton of light near the substrate, but the areas with plenty of light are the ones turning black.

Another thing is that I have it planted surrounding the area where the heater is. Temp is set at 76, but the heater is on pretty often (it's cold up here!) - not sure if that could be a factor....

Everything else in the tank is doing well, so I'm kind of at a loss.
Any tips or suggestions?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had the same issue with H. Zosterfolia same kinda setup 75gal 260 watts.To me it look like a melting stage to adjust to the new water paremeters mine seem to make it through the stage now are growing quite well

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

The tank has been up for 3 months and anything I could attribute to "new tank" has been over for at least the last 6 weeks (algae, etc). The plant has been in there since the beginning. I change about 15-20 gallons every 10-14 days.

Just curious Gomer, why are you thinking nitrate? I do know that the tank has been using it up pretty quickly lately...maybe I'll start the every other day macro regimen. It's a shame, becuase the plant (is supposed to) take up the back left third of the tank. It's kind of an eyesore, but I want to stick with it, since it's the perfect plant for the location...kind of grows from behind a big rock. I'd hate to settle for something "easy" ;)

One other thing I've noticed is that it's the only plant that isn't pearling like crazy. I don't know if that's normal or not, but I find it kind of odd...

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
That is a lot of light on your 75g! I only have 206 watts on my 75g and haven't ran into this problem yet.

You don't mention your dosing routine but I dose:

1/2 tsp KNO3 and 3ml of Fleets on Sun, Tues, Thurs, and Sat
and 15 ml CSM+B (2tbsp to 500ml) on Mon, Wed, and Fri.
I don't dose any K other than what is in the KNO3.

I also do a 50% or greater (depending on how much RO water I have made) water change on Sundays. I wonder if maybe something other than your macros isn't reaching excess levels since you only replace 15-20 gallons every 10-14 days??? I recently skipped a water change and continued dosing and noticed the plants weren't pearling as much and the tank didn't have the normal "sparkle".

I don't have any experience with it (yet) but shouldn't the Ca:Mg ratio be 3:1 or 4:1? You are at a 2:1 or less. You also say you don't know the GH. That could be a clue to the problem.

I think Robert B. also had some similar problems (except the dark streaks went across the width of the leaves) when he was using RO with his tank and began dosing Ca and Mg. I think about the same time his "tiger stripes" cleared up the NO3 levels were pretty high. Maybe he will jump in here and correct me if I my memory isn't quite right.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Matt.

I think I phrased it wrong - the stripes run the width of the leaves (across the length) in my case as well. The tank also has been up for 4 months, not 3 as I said in the first post (not that that really matters).

It's alot of light, but I only have them on for about 9 hours a day. I cut them back when algae started giving me problems a couple months ago and everything started looking good, so I never cranked them back up to 12.

I think you are right about the Mg:Ca ratio, but since the levels are normally kept so "low", I have a hard time getting good readings with my reef test kits...You're right, I should pick up a GH kit. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts