Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 56 Posts

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
what effect does peroxide have on animal inhabitants, other than supplying o2?
At 2ml/gal, I noticed no symptoms on animals when I tried this as an experiment.
At 3.5 ml/gal I noticed some stress on my snails (almost looked dead, but they pulled out of it later), but no stress on shrimp.

I stopped at that point. I know one person who dosed 4 ml/gal and lost nearly all snails. Still, there was no reported affect on other tank inhabitants.

Still, "peroxide" is not a cure, just another of many treatments to help clear out what's there after you've fixed the issue that lead to algae in the first place.

· Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Yep, I know that. I was hoping to get it under control without using chemicals or antibiotics, but I'm not sure if that's going to be possible. A lot of the posts I've read recommend Maracyn or other form of Erythromycin to kill it, but then I saw this peroxide thread and wondered if it would work just as well, since it works as a topical antiseptic/antibiotic. It kills nasty things in paper cuts, so why not nasty things in the aquarium?
I've squirted H2O2 directly (via syringe) onto cyanobacteria. It bubbled profusly and vanished in 24 hrs.

1 - 2 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.