Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys, i started this waterbox aquarium 72 gallons 2.5 weeks ago. Im running co2art pro se, with GLA reactor. I have 2 chihiros vivid 2. 2 sets. I run 2 oase canisters, one is the 850, and the other one is 600. Its not heavy planted, but theres some plants, like ludwigia, anubias, rotalas. All stem plants growing like crazy.

-I use RO water, because my tap water fluctuate like crazy. I use an RO unit.
-I use tropica soil, and iv been testing every single day and my ammonia didn't go above 0.25PPM. So i added fritz ammonia, i increased it to 2PPM. I added fritz turbo start 700, and its been 4-5 days already and my ammonia still 2PPM. I have some nitrate, but thats because i dose APT3 complete.

-My water parameters are ph 6.4, ammonia 2ppm, nitrite 0 i havent seen it go above 0. And my nitrate is 10-20ppm.

-iv been dosing liquid fertilizer everyday APT 3 complete. I did 50% water change the first week, and the second week i did another 50%, and now i havent done any water changes leaving things to stabilize.

My issue i got hair algae in the first place, is i had my 2 sets of vivid 2 running at 100% im new, and i didnt realize the consequences. Espcially i dont have a big plant mass. Now i reduced the lighting to 45/25/30. For red/green/blue.

-Im still taking big chunks of hair algae from my monte carlo which are covered. Even my healthy stem plants have it. I manually remove them either by hand, or by a tiny net. But i cant 100% remove them.

Anything i need to do beside what iv been doing? The only thing i didnt test is phosphate. The test kit coming tomorrow. Would hair algae go on its own?

· Registered
3,449 Posts
Yeah, stop dosing nutrients. You have too much for the small number of plants. Maybe do a water change to reduce the nutrients. All those extra nutrients go to feed the algae.

It looks like you are cycled. Ammonia is food for algae too.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going off you have nitrates and no nitrite.
Ammonia not going down is weird. It could be from your soil.
Here are their instructions
So the nitrate are actually from my liquid fertilizer if im not mistaken i dosed the first week. i did 50% water change the first week and second week another 50%. my ammonia from the soil released only 0.25ppm. people told me that's not enough to cycle so i added fritz ammonia that raise my ammonia to 2ppm. Im beyond frustrated. i dont know what to do. i feel so lonely starting out this hobby as i don't get active help from others like live. i read a lot i even bought books, but really nothing is helping me explain the things thats been happening with me

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see. Since your soil is releasing ammonia, you're good to let it cycle on its own. Sit back, relax. Pull out any algae. Algae is part of any tank at first.
I guess im not making much sense haha sorry im not from this country so bear with me. What im trying to say is. If i added ammonia 4 days ago to 2ppm. And i added fritz bacteria the whole bottle before that. Why my ammonia didnt come down yet, if fritz advertise their stuff as fast cycle like 5 days or less? My friend used the same thing and his tank cycled. Why mine i dont see changes?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.