Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
****IMAGE ATTACHED BELOW******

Hello,

I am Sreenath, and Currently I stay in India. Actually the main question to ask you that, I setup a new Planted Aquarium for my home and recently after 3 day I can see Hair Algae all over my Plants.

---------------------Tank Specification------------------

Size - 3ft(length) x 1.5ft(width) x 1.5ft(height)

Light - 4 x 20 watt Led Tube (10 hours continious)

Co2 Pressurized Gas - 4 Bubbles/Sec

Fertilizer - Flourish

Filter - UV Canister Filter

------------------Problems----------------------

1. Cuba Carpet plant having some of the leaves turning yellow/brown, transparent.

2. Hair Algae all over my plants

PLEASE HELP ME REGARDING THIS PROBLEM I NEED A VERY URGENT SOLUTION!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
First off welcome to the community. It's good to have you with us. I am by far no expert in the hobby but I got few suggestions that might help. With the hair algea try to remove as much as possible by hand. Once you have as much removed by hand as you can you can spot treat the rest with a syringe filled with something like Flourish Excel or simple hydrogen peroxide. If you use hydrogen peroxide shut your filter off for about 10min so it doesn't get in your filter as it will also kill bacteria in concentrated enough doses. Some of the plants may not be compatible with hydrogen peroxide. A list of water parameters, plant stock list, livestock list, and fertilizer regimen info would be helpful. If you can post them up and that may lead to the cause of the algea. With the 10hrs of lighting I would try to go to about 8hrs tops with 6-8hr being a pretty good range. Long photoperiods can lead to algea outbreaks too. I hope this can help you some and maybe someone else will chime in with a new perspective on this situation.

-James

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Welcome to APC!

Plants need nutrients - nitrogen, potassium, phosphorous, and trace elements - to grow well. With high light, as you seem to have, they need a lot of those nutrients. Flourish is a trace element mix, with very small amounts of the basic nutrients. It is good for low light tanks, but for high light tanks it is inadequate. See http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilizing/15225-estimative-index-dosing-guide.html for an easy way to make sure you are providing enough nutrients for your plants.

Any thing that prevents your plants from growing as fast as the light is forcing them to grow will cause algae problems. A lack of enough nutrients will certainly do that.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
You will always get algae the first few weeks on a new tank. All you can do is give what your plants need to grow and clean out and combat the algae. Do water changes and reduce your lights to maybe 7 hours will help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts