Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ever tried using a halogen work light for lighting an aqaurium. I have seem them from 75watt to 500watt. They seem to be the double ended bulb and what really got me thinking was the reflector they come with. Looks just like what you see advertised in the catalogs. The only thing I wonder about them is the K rating of the bulb. I was considering somehting like this for a 10 gallon aquarium. I have seen them at Sears for 15-20 dollars. I can't buy a ballast for 3-4 NO florescents for thatprice, let alone the tubes.

Tell me what you think of this idea. I figure it would have to be slightly raised from the top of hte tank to get good coverave but with 75+watts over a 10 gallon 8) THink it would work?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I put a halogen desk lamp over a truely tiny tank (~3gals) and had decent results with it. If my memory serves me correctly, however, information I've read said that the spectrum produced by halogen is less than ideal.

Your milage my vary :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
All the halogen lights I've seen have had a strong yellow/orange cast to them. So while it might produce adequate plant growth, it probably wouldn't be the most asthetically pleasing to look at.

·
Registered
739 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Halogen just is too inefficient, creates too much heat. And that makes it unsuitable when compared to more generally accepted solutions IMO.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about this idea. You could just get the 55 or 65 watt quad bulb and a work horse ballast or by the whole light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts