Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Day #1 Just berried female

Day #2

One of my shrimp girls seemed to have too many eggs for her britches, she had a few that seemed to not want to fit in her already over full swimmerets. She's young too. So I caught her this morning and transferred her to the vase where the clump of eggs dropped finally, she has a few left. Hopefully she will keep them to her and I can observe her group and the group I have. (control?)

I collected them and transferred the eggs to a small measuring cup. I will transfer the eggs shortly into a small holding tank (read small frere roche chocolate box that I use as little tanks)

I won't use substrate, I will use some riccia to help maintain the water. I can't airstone this and have water left. However, I will gladly swirl her eggs around from time to time, since they seem to enjoy sitting there juggling them.

Anyone have experiences with this?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I was going to try and set up something to do this but haven't had the time or a dead berried female in a while.

What I was going to do is take a old water bottle and put a airline tube in the cap and silicon it in place. then tip the bottle upside down so the bubbles would travel up to the bottom of the bottle. Cut a small hole in the bottle to allow air to escape. Turn the air down to it keeps the eggs moving but don't throw them out of the water and against the sides of the water bottle where they dry up. The bottle is turned upside down so the bottom is cone shaped so the eggs roll down into the air bubbles were they will be carried up again. Otherwise the eggs will end up getting stuck in one place.

I also bought some methyl blue which is an antifungal to help prevent the eggs from developing fungus. I have been told this medication was safe to use on shrimp.

I have tried in the past to do this without success (with different setup) but I think this method should work if the eggs are viable (females will drop the clutch if the eggs are not viable)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Considering that I had seen the mating race, I am sure htey are viable. I have heard young females, new to teh activity will someitmes drop.

Where can I get methyl blue and how much to use?

Edit: in other words, like a brine shrimp hatchery.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The Methylene blue stains, so be careful.

Any LFS should have it.

A friend of mine used it to keep Angel eggs from going bad and he put it in until he could not see the eggs. I believe there is some controversy about it so follow the directions carefully and try not to expose yourself to it any more than you need to, as a precaution (which is sound for just about any thing.)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I doubt you could find it at a drug store. I would suggest following the dosing instructions on the bottle and see what happens.

Yes basically I would try and set something up like a brine shrimp hatchery.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Methyl blue is useless as an antifungal agent. You should use malachite green (also stains) or formalin. I had fungus with my GBR eggs that I treated with methyl blue and it didn't help. Then I read that it is useless, switched to malachite green and abslutely no fungus the previous spawns. HTH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts