Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Beta and a few cherry shrimp, the beta died about a month ago, I took the 2 remaining shrimp out and cleaned the tank then. Now these tiny white things are crawling over the glass inside, there’s probably 20 of them? They almost crawl on the glass like a worm and I have no clue what they are!
Plant Petal Terrestrial plant Organism Aquatic plant

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am no expert but it looks like planaria to me. They are said to attack shrimp. I have read that some, if not all, types of barbs eat them and there are videos on youtube explaining how to kill them safely with a common dog deworming medication.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would treat the shrimp and the tank for planaria. That's what I think they are. There is a med out there--I think it's Genchem brand--specifically for killing them called 'No Planaria.' Panaria are nasty, they get right inside the poor shrimp and kill them. Is it allowed to post links here? Well, Amazon offers 'No Planaria' for around $15. I'm sure you can find it.

@mistergreen, if you're still around, I'd like to ask why you said you thought they were not planaria? Did you see something we missed? I'd like to know what you based your opinion on. I'm not arguing, mind you, I'm just always interested in learning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would treat the shrimp and the tank for planaria. That's what I think they are. There is a med out there--I think it's Genchem brand--specifically for killing them called 'No Planaria.' Panaria are nasty, they get right inside the poor shrimp and kill them. Is it allowed to post links here? Well, Amazon offers 'No Planaria' for around $15. I'm sure you can find it.

@mistergreen, if you're still around, I'd like to ask why you said you thought they were not planaria? Did you see something we missed? I'd like to know what you based your opinion on. I'm not arguing, mind you, I'm just always interested in learning.
Are you sure they're not just detritus worms?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Of course not, since these are not my tanks, but on the possibility they might be planaria which can kill the valuable shrimp and snails, whereas the medicine will do no harm other than wipe out the planaria, I shared that I would treat the tank to remove the parasites. It is what I would do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Of course not, since these are not my tanks, but on the possibility they might be planaria which can kill the valuable shrimp and snails, whereas the medicine will do no harm other than wipe out the planaria, I shared that I would treat the tank to remove the parasites. It is what I would do.
It's hard to tell from the picture but they look like detritus worms, which are harmless. Tank maintenance is all that's needed to control them. Planaria have a triangle shaped head and will attack small creatures in the tank. There are pictures available online to tell the difference.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I had a Beta and a few cherry shrimp, the beta died about a month ago, I took the 2 remaining shrimp out and cleaned the tank then. Now these tiny white things are crawling over the glass inside, there’s probably 20 of them? They almost crawl on the glass like a worm and I have no clue what they are!
Hi @Cassismiles

It is difficult to tell from the photos but I enlarged and the head looks 'pointy' to me, look closely at the worm and then at Planaria and see if that is what you have. -Roy

Font Soil Event Monochrome photography Macro photography

1 - 8 of 8 Posts