Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be possible to plant HC in a tank with about only 3-4 inches of water covering it and normal aquarium lighting (3.5 WPG or more) and expect for it to grow?

I have a 29 gallon I'm setting up and I'm wondering if I can get a head start on growing the HC without completely filling the tank. I'm still searching for some of the plants I'll use in the set up.

Could I expect normal growth? (like it would if it were fully submerged in the water, which it will be, I suppose, just not with alot of it)

Could I expect any algae problems if I were to do this?

...or should I just fill the tank all the way and drain it when I add more plants?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just an update

I decided to try it. I've planted the HC in about 2 inches of water. They're growing in eco complete and some fine gravel right now. I'll keep track of growth (and hopefully take pictures) for the next month or two (depending on when I get the rest of my plants)

·
Registered
114 Posts
A lot of people actually just start it with just enough water to cover the substrate. From what I read but not to my experience, the HC will grow and fill in much faster when grown out of water.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not really keen on growing emmersed because it sounds like filling the tank afterward can be a problem.

I'm not sure how much access to CO2 the HC has right now so I'm taking out some water every second day and adding a new bucket. I haven't started dosing Excel yet but I'll probably get going this week.

Any idea around how long it takes for HC to start showing growth?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.