Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok forgive me if this question has been asked a million times.. But I keep seeing all these post about HC and I'm curious to what HC is, and is it the same as Duck Weed?

Also how do you get it matted on the tank substrate?

Thanks in advance...
John

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok how do you get it started? Do you need a matting material? Or do you purchase in a mat that will spread?

John

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok how do you get it started? Do you need a matting material? Or do you purchase in a mat that will spread?

If you plant it under the right conditions (lots of light, enough CO2, etc) it should spread all on its own. If you buy it, it usually comes in a clump. It may be best to divide that into several clumps to kick start several areas of the tank. Plant it in a good substrate and just watch it grow.

·
Registered
140 Posts
break/cut up the portion you buy into half-dime sized portions and plant those 1"-2" apart like you would hairgrass. Give it light, CO2 and ferts and you're golden. Carpet in a month, probably less.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Use small tweezers to plant. This plant takes lots of patients initially. Do not get in a hurry, and avoid the temptation to stick a clump of this stuff in the substrate. The more time you spend planting the individual stems, the better and more even your carpet will be. After that it is very low maintenance in my opinion. CO2 is not required, but decent lighting is. CO2 will speed it up though. I have had very good luck planting in Aqua Soil. Especially the powder type!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts