Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on FB and am sharing it everywhere I can think of as Petco is a huge organization and we all ship things ourselves so even though this is in Oregon - it can SO EASILY be anywhere within a week! Please share this to any fish or tank keeping groups so folks can be on the look out and help prevent them from entering other waterways.

It is my understanding that the larval stage they can be free swimming, so water changes could spread them:

Coast Fork Willamette Watershed Council

There has been a troubling sighting report from Seattle. A pet store employee has been finding zebra mussels attached and inside moss balls sold as aquarium plants. The significant danger is these moss balls are being distributed across the U.S. We are asking that you please check out your local pet stores here in Oregon to see if they are selling "Betta Buddy" brand moss balls.

Please contact Rick Boatner immediately (503-947-6308; [email protected]) if you find any.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Good thing they go in your tank and not in our waterways. Cleaning and quarantine should be easy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good thing they go in your tank and not in our waterways. Cleaning and quarantine should be easy.
So it sounds like you totally missed why this is such a huge deal - and it got much much worse than what I had originally posted.

The link to the Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife news release is here:

The HUGE issue with this is that the larval state is free swimming and is practically invisible in the water. ANY water or container that has held a marimo ball is suspect.

ANY net, siphon, hand, plant, object in the water can transport these things and ANY water changes or rinsing
that makes it into a drain or gutter or natural water way can introduce them to the city sewage which can introduce it to the waterways and they are sharp impossible to get rid of pests that will destroy wherever they establish themselves.

You have to break down any tank that they are in COMPLETELY and destroy plants in them since they can hitchhike. and fauna should be changed multiple times to avoid transplanting any larvae hitching a ride in the water is my understanding.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good grief. I’m glad I’ve never liked those balls and never ordered any. I think these business and suppliers are in for a heap of work. There’s probably a lot of cross contamination.

·
Super Moderator
5,737 Posts
Since most of the huge retail pet stores use linked filtration systems for all their tanks, if one tank is contaminated they all are.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I’m reading 1-5ppm of copper sulfate should kill zebra mussels. It’s an algae killer too so I’d assume it would kill the moss ball and plants if the ppm was too high.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts