Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he guys i just bought a hydor 300 inline heater and i bought a marineland c360 canister filter. the problem i have is that the heater is a 5/8 inlet and outlet but my filter uses 3/4 so my hose is way bigger than the heater inlet. i could get fittings and bring my hose down to the 5/8 but i am thinking that necking it down like that will be a huge restriction giving me less flow:mad:. i was wondering if anybody else has run into this problem and what they have done.

one idea i came up with was to maybe run a seperate line T'd into the intake side of the canister filter but then i wonder if it would move enought water throught the heater to effectively heat the tank. what do you think im open to any suggestions thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would put the heater in the outlet side of your canister filter that way you will only get clean water through the heater. In the outlet hose install a 3/4" hose barb and a tee fitting. On the side outlet of the tee thread in a 1/2" barb and run a hose to the heater. Also run a 1/2" hose from the heater back to the tank. Connect a ball valve on the last opening in the tee and connect either a 1/2" or 3/4" hose from the ball valve that also runs back to the tank. Open the valve all the way and start up the canister filter and slowly close the valve just enough to get good flow through the heater and your all set. I use two inline heaters in my setup and just split the flow between them. I like using two heaters because it gives me a fail-safe so if one fails my tank won't go cold. My temperature monitor senses the current to the heaters and will alarm if it goes out of range.

Matt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that seems like a bunch easier and and faster than what i did. i thought os something like that but i wasnt sure how i was going to control the flow making sure that enough was going throught the heater i never thought of the ball valve](*,). i ended up cutting the fitting off of the heater and drilling the hole out and sticking a 3/4 barbed fittting into the holes i drilled in the heater and gluing them in there. it turned into a real mess and took several times but i was finally able to get it seal good. i did think of daul heaters also but funds ren low after christmass and gettint all the other supplies for my tank but i do believe that i see dual heaters in my near future.:D thanks for the idea

1 - 3 of 3 Posts