Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im from Hawaii and the room temp here is about 80 deg in the day and about 65 to 70 deg at night, almost all yeay long... My question is do I really need a heater?

I'll have a 260W CF light over my 55g tank, will this heat things up a bit?

Will the type of plants I buy be limited? with out a heater?

If I should get one will this work?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3852&N=2004+22787

Lastly, when doing water changes do you heat the water before it goes into the tank?

Thanks
Josh

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I would use a heater....just in case. I've had one too many fights with Ich. Those heaters work well. I have a couple, but I prefer the Titanium heaters with an external thermostat control.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Check to see what the temp swing in the tank from day to night. If you experience more 3-4 degrees between highs and lows in a 24hr period a heater would be a good idea to keep a more constant temp.

For a 55 with very little swings you may be able to use a relatively small heater., Chances are it will not be on that much but who know, you may get a cold snap and have the ambient temps drop to a bone numbing 60F.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sir_BlackhOle,

Where would be the best place to get the the Titanium heaters with an external thermostat control?

Also about the water changes, do i have to preheat the water first before adding it?

Thanks

Josh

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Most any of the online vendors carry the heater. It's made by Won Bros

When doing water changes it is a good idea to match the tank and the new water temp as not to shock the livestock. Unless one is purposely using diff temps to stimulate spawning.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I picked mine up from Bigalsonline.com but notice my LFS now stocks them.

i havent had to worry about water temps when changing water lately because it comes from the hose at about 80 degrees...perfect. Now when (IF) winter ever shows up down here I might have to warm up the water a bit first.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Depending on where you live in Hawaii a heater set a 76° might actually turn on only a few times a year, But you never know when some freakish winter storm will hover over the islands and plunge you into a week long 60° spell :)

[Born and raised on Oahu, but haven't lived there since 1980]

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Yes, I'd definitely have a heater in all my tanks even if I didn't live in the frozen tundra :roll: . As stated before, it may not come on more that a few times/year, but you've got it there for insurance. Temp swings of more than a few degrees are really stressful to fish, so better safe than sorry.

There is a spectacular sale on the Via Aqua titanium heaters (which have a much nicer control than the Pro Heats) at Pet Solutions right now http://petsolutions.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_16971630_A_Via+Aqua+Titanium+Heater_E_ .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts