Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question re: heaters. i recently bought a 200W heater (Visitherm Stealth model) because i felt the 25W i had was inadequate (i have a 20G). i've set the 200W heater at 75deg, but the thermometer always comes in at about 71/72. even when i adjust it up to 77/79 to try an increase the temp, it hardly goes above 73. is this normal?

by comparison, the 25W that i had been using previously could do the same job (keep temp at 72 when heater was set at 75) at a lower wattage rating.

am i missing something? anyone else have similar experiences?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Some heaters are just cruddy, I've had a similar experience where a Sera 50w heater couldn't get a 45 litre tank over 18c.

For a 20gal you should only need a 100w heater... Ebo Jagers have worked well for me although I hear the newer ones are of poorer quality.

As a general rule for heaters, you need 1 watt per litre of water to make sure you don't run into trouble.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Have you double checked the accuracy of your thermometer? In many cases they can be way off. If it is accurate, you obviously have a faulty heater. If it's new, it should have some sort of warranty.

I agree, 200 watts is overkill for a tank your size, but when they work properly, they will shut off and it shouldn't be a worry.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JanS said:
Have you double checked the accuracy of your thermometer?
i've double checked using a digital thermometer and it's registering about 72.5, not too far off from the liquid mercury thermometer. i've also checked it at diff't areas of the aquarium... at the filter outflow, intake, etc. it comes out about the same, so i'm sure the heater is working. it's just not keeping the temp at the desired level. do you think it's possible ambient room temp may have something to do with it?

JanS said:
I agree, 200 watts is overkill for a tank your size, but when they work properly, they will shut off and it shouldn't be a worry.
no disagreement here. i got a 200W for purposes of upgrading my tank in the future. my reasoning is that the heater would shut off when it was it reached the right temp, as you've pted out.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
richy said:
do you think it's possible ambient room temp may have something to do with it?
No, it shouldn't since you have more than you need - unless you keep your house at tundra temps(less than 40°)..... :wink:
Our house can drop into the upper 40's in the summer when we don't have the heat on and the tank heaters really don't turn on that often. I keep most of my tanks in the 78 - 80° range, so a 200 watt heater shoud be able to take care of a 20 gallon tank easily, even if your temp is cool in the house.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so it sounds like it's back to the manufacturer i go. warranty should be more than good. =)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts