Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so... I have a 35gal and a 20 gal tanks... I try to do 50% water changes once a week...

My useable tap water is underthe house, in a crawl space with a 4' ceiling. Running a hose would require atleast at 100' hose..... getting the 5 gallon bucket of water out the crawlspace is only the first task.. then I gotta carry the 47.5lb thing up 2 flights of stairs...

THEN after I get it upstairs.... the water temp is 48deg... any suggestions on how to heat this? i guess i could let it sit over night.... but a 5gal change isnt very much on ither my 20 or 35g tanks....

·
Registered
21 Posts
the way I do it is to heat some up in the microwave and mix with the cold until I get it where I want it. After a few times you'll get a pretty good idea of how long to heat it to get the temp you need.-------------------------Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Water Problem

I'd look into getting two of the 50' garden hoses that coil up like a slinky. You could mount it next to the crawlspace and then walk with it up the stairs. When your done it coils right back up and you just hang it there. If you have room in a closet or something, pick up a 30 gallon plastic drum with a spigot valve and fill it prior to use. Just some thoughts to ponder.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
This is an odd situation, to say the least. I am trying to imagine what type of house this is.

You didn't mention how or where you get rid of the "old" water. Do you run it off out the window? or run it down a toilet? If you have a bathroom upstairs, does it not have a water supply? If so, what's wrong with that water supply?

If you have a closet, say, or other suitable storage space upstairs, you could locate a 30 US gallon Rubbermaid bin in it for water storage. Fill the bin up all at once or bit by bit. Put one of those nice Titanium heaters in it and set the thermostat to 26C or whatever and there you go. Not only will the water be heated, it will also be degassed by the time you put it in the aquarium.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Or you could fill up the bathtub with hot water and set it in there...then monitor the temp till its what you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts