Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Those look like good shelves. I wonder how much shipping would be on something like that though - those things are heavy! If the shelves are particle board, you might want to think about waterproofing them - they warp pretty easily once they are wet (ime). You might be able to get those 'gorilla racks' at Lowe's/Home Depot if the shipping is prohibitive.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I entered my zipcode in, and the shipping wasn't all that bad. These are big shelves and probably weigh a good bit, but the shipping was like $20 for me. If I had the room, I would snatch up a set. I was thinking the same thing about the board. It looks like particle board, and I would be afraid of it warping. I think that if you coat it with some polyurethane sealant, it could work ok.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
actually 20 bux isn't bad at all. Those things are crazy heavy - for a four foot one it's like 75#. That's a good deal for sure.

A polyurethane coat would be necessary, mine are particle board and mine are warped.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I bought the 18" x 36" gorilla shelves from Home Depot, and my particle board shelf warped/rotted. I noticed the tank water level was off-kilter one day, took a look under the shelf and saw this:

Thankfully, the tank is only 5.5 gallons and was easy enough to lift off. I replaced it with a piece of 10 ply plywood, and covered the wood with some cut to fit linoleum.

So, lesson learned: Particle board + water = BAD!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts