Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i just joined here and have a question... mind you i do NOT have a green thumb...

HAve any of you seen your plants turn a white'ish color? not like dieing color but the leaves just not as green.. ?

I am useing sand/Onyx mix and all was fine.. but once i added the Carbo block all was fine.. may not be the Co2 at all but just me not haveing a green thumb.. can one over dose woth C02 that will effect the plants? all fish are fine..so im not sure.. i am also useing plant diss for fertilizer, and some other stuff as well.. lighting there is i think 2 watts per gal.. .. il post some pics later..

thanks again all Joe

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Welcome to APC Joe. :)

You're question would get better coverage and more answers if you post it in the General discussion section. :)

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Hi Joe!

Pale growth show up if the plants don't get enough Iron or Magnesium. Since the Onyx contains and releases quite a bit of Magnesium you most likely will have to fertilize carefully your plants with some Iron.

A product called "Fluorish Iron" should be easy to find in almost any pet store.

Most likely when you added CO2 the plants started to 'eat' nutrients very fast and ran out of Iron. Keep in mind that plants can run out of other nutrients too - Nitrate, Phosphorus, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium. With CO2 you must make sure you fertilize very carefully on a regular basis. If you have questions about that please ask.

--Nikolay

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Joe, Welcome to APC :smile:

Sounds like you have a nutrient deficiancy. Please post your water parameters and tank setup info in the new to planted tanks forum, this way more people will see your post.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks All.. i will post pics later tonight after i get home.. and see if i can nip this in the butt.. after i got home from a weekend trip they had looked better and the java ferns were sprouting all over the place..

Joe

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
You may want to keep testing your kh levels as well, and the carbo block 'eats' through them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts