Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, my name is Andrew and I hail from Castaic, California.

I ran across this site looking for information on planted aquariums. I recently purchased an Eclipse 12 for my 8 year old son as his first tank and thought about going real vs. plastic. The Eclipse 12 system may not be the best for fish keeping or plant growing but it is simple and doesn't take up a lot of room (it's going in his bedroom).

I've had many aquariums over the years and I've had some experience with plants but I never achieved the success some of you have achieved. I'm really good at growing algae, however. :) So, I'm a "experienced" beginner...I know just enough to be dangerous.

My first question deals with lighting...the pros and cons of the stock light versus a retrofit upgrade I found during my search about planted aquariums in terms of plant health, algae, maintenance, etc. This is probably not the best place to have that discussion so I'll have to find the correct forum to post.

Thanks in advance for all your assistance and I look forward to learning a lot about planted aquariums!!!

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Hey Andrew, welcome to APC. I think you've found the write place for answers to all of your questions.

Upgrading the lighting on the tank probably won't hurt, though making it too bright begins to require carbon dioxide supplementation. There is a forum here titled "The Science of Lighting" that should have answers to a lot of your questions as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Aaron for the greeting.

Yes, I looked at the Science of Lighting and it generated a lot of questions. Rather than hijacking this forum, I started a thread under New to Planted Aquariums to get advice on lighting, substrate, and other good stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Hello Andrew... Welcome to APC :wave:

What a great way to start your son off in this hobby.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts