Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks I'm new here but have been in the hobby for many years.
I have always wanted a truly planted aquarium and have been in the process of setting up a 72Bow for this system.
So far I have the tank, an Eheim 2217, fluorite substrate, and 4 65W 67K power compacts for a total of 260W.
Do I need more light? What is recommended for this deep a tank?

I'm really looking for any ideas on this CO2 system.
Found here… http://www.aquabotanic.com/abstore/index.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Complete C02 system w pH controller
Fully automated system
This system includes the AB regulator, the Milwaukee SMS122 pH controller, and the Power reactor.
A pH controller regulates the C02 by the pH. The more C02 you add to the water, the lower the pH goes. By using a pH controller, the C02 is shut off once the target pH is reached and turned back on again when the pH rises. This way you can maintain a very stable C02 level without worrying about overdosing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I see AB is a sponsor here and I was wondering if anyone is using one of these?
Can you give me some opinions? Is there something better I should look into?
Also any suggestions on fish and plants are also welcome. I was thinking Neon, Rasboras, Cory cats, farawellas, ahhh I'm still undecided on fish. :D
I just filled the tank last night and I'm eager to get things going.
Thanks in advance,
sharks

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Welcome Sharks!

Your questions would get better coverage in the appropriate categories, if you'd like to post them there as well. :)

You can pretty much put together any type of system to suit your needs when it comes to the C02. I use the controller and reactor you mentioned above and they work great.

There is a thread in the "fish for the planted aquarium" section that might help give you ideas on what might be appealing to you. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome Sharks,

I have the same set up as you, 72 bow w/ 3.61 wpg. We might even have the same lighting unit - JBJ 4x65watts. Anyway, it's enough lighting for my tank, I even had micro swords in my tank and they grew along the bottom instead up toward the light. So I figured the lighting is good even in the very front bow area.

As for my CO2 unit, I didn't favor a power reactor, because I don't like the look of anything extra in the tank. I opted for the AB 1000 external reactor, but that's me.

As for the fish, I have a bunch of Cardinals, a couple of rams, and a couple of apisto 'opal'.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Sharks, welcome to APC :razz:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome :yawinkle:

Tom I looked at the AB units but they say external in the description. Then they say it goes in the tank???? I can’t find a decent description online for them.
Do you have a photo of your system or can you explain to me how it’s hooked up?
I am assuming it’s connected to a canister or on a power head on a loop?

I did always want to keep rams but my PH was a little too high for them. Maybe now with this tank I’ll give it another try. Thanks for the ideas.
S

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
The AquaMedic 1000 is for external use. The AquaMedic 500 is for internal use. Here is their website:

http://www.aqua-medic.de

If you go to the specific descriptions of each, they have a manual in pdf which explains the connections.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK thanks for the links and info.
I like this better then the internal.
Now where to buy? I see a few places just gotta compare pricing now.

Tom where in Jersey are you? I’m in Brick. Any good locations for plants?
I work in a LFS but we no longer sell live plants. I can still get them through our distributors though. The only problem is they get the same old plants each week and they didn’t look all that great.

I’m off to shop ;-)

·
Registered
41 Posts
First, I wouldn't work for LFS that didn't sell plants :D ... Okay, maybe I would if they gave me a great discount.

Second, I would tell you, but you need to give me your employee discount ;)

Okay, kidding aside, http://www.aquariumcenter.biz/ is one of the best stores for plants. It's in south jersey. They have a whole wall dedicated to plants. Next, is a long trip out to www.thatpetplace.com. That's my favorite place to visit, but it's a 2 hr drive for me.

If you need some wisteria to start, give me a holler. I use to have more algae buster, but I just tore out all my water sprite & penny wort.

Oh yeah, I live in mercer county.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok cool thanks for the offer T.
I will wait and place an order to fill the tank right from the start. I was looking at the Aquabotanicle 55G hard to kill package. Probably add a few others. I like the algae balls.
I want to get the CO2 system first so it's just water and gravel for now.

Laith,
We had a 55G and 2 33G long tanks tied together as a plant system. For the last year they didn’t sell well and it was a waste of floor space economically. Now it’s tied into the salt-water reef system and filled with starfish, dusters, crabs, snails, and anemones that sell fast for us.
There are few people around me that are into plants to the point of CO2 and fert use.
I wish we still had them since I was the one years ago that started that system but it’s about supply and demand.
We do have a large selection of FW fish and more importantly like Tom said I get a discount. ;-)
I also have a 220 SW FO tank and a 120-reef tank.
I’ve just been missing the FW and wanted another challenge.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Cocoloco Welcome to the forum.
I like it here. There is a lot of great looking tanks, informative people, and tons of searchable info.
OK onto the questions…
Well I haven’t bought one yet. A friend is trying to get me a FREE 10Lb tank with solenoid from a recently decommissioned reef tank. That will save me a few bucks.
I am going to get the AB 1000. I will either connect it to the Eheim or run it on a loop using a power head. I’m not sure yet. I’m wondering if it will slow the Eheim too much or if I will need additional flow.
I will order it this week along with a Pinpoint PH controller. I need to shop around for the unit and controller still. I usually order from championlighting.com or marinedepot.com and I’ve never had a problem with either site. I will also compare them to the sponsors here. I like to help the people helping me ;) Plus I need plants too.
I will update my thread (Got Wood) in the aquascaping forum with more questions I still have so please look there for more info.
S

1 - 13 of 13 Posts