Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to say hi to everyone and introduce myself. I've had the aquarium bug for 25 years and have dabbled in just about everything including saltwater reef systems (God bless my wife for putting up with it all). I have discovered in probably the last 5 years that planted tanks can be just as beautiful as saltwater tanks and i'm finding planted aquariums more enjoyable and just as challenging at times. So out went the saltwater and in came the plants. I keep a 40 gal. high-tech heavily planted tank, which I've been using to educate myself on what I can and can't do with various plants, equipment, ferts, & etc. So far its been successful! I also keep a 75 gal. semi-high tech, if there is such a thing. It is basically overgrown and houses discus, rummys, & various other South American fish. I'm in the proccess of setting up a 115 gal. high-tech as soon as I complete the stand and canopy build! Up till this point I have been sitting on the side line watching and learning from all of you. I want to say I'm amazed at all the knowledge the members of this forum provide and its pretty cool to have all this just by a touch of a key! I look forward to corresponding with you in the near future!!:D

·
Registered
581 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dan.

It seems most of us have sat on the sidelines prior to actually joining. It's definitely a good place to learn as we have a wealth of knowledge here.

How's the build going on the stand and canopy? Have you built one before?

Post us some pics if you get a chance.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Isn't the internet wonderful?! I have really enjoyed APC myself! I feel like I have all these friends, ready and willing to help me when I need it. ...and I've never met most of you in person.

Welcome to the club! :D

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Welcome Dan!

You're absolutely right about planted tanks being every bit and challenging as SW, and they can definitely be just as beautiful. :)

Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Dan.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey Dan, welcome to the forum. I am a bit of a newcomer to APC myself but anyway. A few aqua-plant geeks will be having a first meeting of the Mile High Aquatic Gardeners in January, probably at Aquamart in Lakewood, and then at member's homes. Have you seen the 180 gallon tank at Aquamart? that is my baby and home to many very rare plants. Make sure to put your name on the plant signup sheet if you go to the store and hopefully we'll start building a community of the plant geeks in the central CO area.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
supersmirky, This is the second canopy and stand i've built, I'll keep you posted!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Dan, welcome to the forum. I am a bit of a newcomer to APC myself but anyway. A few aqua-plant geeks will be having a first meeting of the Mile High Aquatic Gardeners in January, probably at Aquamart in Lakewood, and then at member's homes. Have you seen the 180 gallon tank at Aquamart? that is my baby and home to many very rare plants. Make sure to put your name on the plant signup sheet if you go to the store and hopefully we'll start building a community of the plant geeks in the central CO area.
Thanks Coralite! I've already signed up at the store, and yes I've seen the 180 gal. tank. I watch as Travis was designing it. You inherited an awsome set-up and i look forward in watching it develop! I'll be looking forward to the Mile High Aquatic Gardeners Club (Plant Geeks)!:p Thanks Again!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks Coralite! I've already signed up at the store, and yes I've seen the 180 gal. tank. I watch as Travis was designing it. You inherited an awsome set-up and i look forward in watching it develop! I'll be looking forward to the Mile High Aquatic Gardeners Club (Plant Geeks)!:p Thanks Again!
The funny thing is that I set up the previous plant tank which Travis ended up taking care of and now I am curating the tank which Travis set up. It was a challenge to get rid of all the hair algae I inherited too but now it is invisible as far as I can tell. Good luck with your new tank, make it sweet so we can host a future meeting at your place. See you in January!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The funny thing is that I set up the previous plant tank which Travis ended up taking care of and now I am curating the tank which Travis set up. It was a challenge to get rid of all the hair algae I inherited too but now it is invisible as far as I can tell. Good luck with your new tank, make it sweet so we can host a future meeting at your place. See you in January!
I must admit, it was kindof a mess with all the algae and it looks great now! You didn't happen to be the guy who set up the 115 gal. that used to be at the front of the store? I was originally inspired by that tank and i ended up buying it after they sold off every thing in it! That is the tank I'm working on now!

·
Registered
361 Posts
yup, that is the same tank! Glad to hear that it inspired a fellow aquatic gardener. All of the plants and fish inside of it went to a 180 gallon version of the 115 which is 24" wide instead of 18" wide.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Hi Dan... Welcome to APC :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts