Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new here but I have been keeping aquariums for a while. Last year the planted aquarium bug got me and since then I don't keep any artificial plant or other decoration. I am still novice though and still a lot to learn.

I have 3 aquariums. The main one is in my living room, a 90 gallon tank. (1st pic)

I have one 45g in the office which is not doing so well because of not enough light. I only have 40W on it. Still some of the plants are doing ok despite the 4 goldfish, 2 pleco and a commet. I will put more light when I can afford it. (2nd pic)

I have one 10g that I keep outdoor, with no filtration, no circulation but with lots of sunshine. I use it as a nursery for plants that are not doing so well inside. I use some floating plants to reduce the light but still gets too much light and the water goes green in summer. But all plants do well here.(3rd pic)

Hopefully I will learn a few things from the gurus here.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hi gsparsan,

Your pictures did post, but welcome to APC! You live in a part of the world I don't think I've seen any posts from yet on this forum. I have a friend who visited there when he was in the Navy, he said it was beautiful.

I have found that APC is filled friendly, knowledgeable people that are willing to help others enjoy this wonderful hobby. When you get a chance tell us something about how you decided to get into planted aquariums and what kinds of plants you can find in your part of the world!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Up to las year, I had smallish tanks which i kept the 'old' way, with as little water changes as possible. I came back to my home country after many years and thought it would be nice to set up a brand new tank. I started researching and i discovered a whole wolrd of knowledge on the net. Its the pretty pictures from ADA and aquascaping competitions that inspired me to try something planted. I had tried planted many times before but it always failed because i didn't know what i know now. And there is so much more to know.

Mauritius is a tropical country and there are many aquatic plants in rivers and streams, mostly elodea, some vals and cabomba, various floating plants like water letuce, duck weed, lotus, momo botan etc. Not many fish though. Someone had the bright idea of introducing tilapia and since then most the native species have disapeared.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

In this forum you can post all your questions that you have about your aquarium and ask for suggestions from the members. You're rest assured that the difficulties that you have will wane shortly.

Good Luck and welcome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts