Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Hello from New York!

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  bopper20 
#1 ·
Hello! I am new to this forum, and wondering how long this forum has been running.

I have be looking for an Aqua plant site like this one for a while. It is funny that I found it by accident.

#5 ·
ming said:
Welcome from New york as well :)
This site has been around for a while, not sure how long but a while
are you in NYC or upstate area?
This is a great place to get to learn about plants, plant keeping, and trading with other members. Enjoy your stay
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am living in the NYC (Brooklyn, to be exact).

This forum is still young but I have already gotten information that I needed to redo my 29g tank. I have lost my 5 year-old Arowana recently and now I am moving my 10g Plant/discus to the 29g. This is my new project.

Also, I have a 2 1/2g tank at work with Java moss and Java fern. I have been doing well for a year. This tank has helped to keep my sanity at work.

This is a beautiful hobby.

#8 ·
pineapple said:
So we have a few people in or near Brooklyn now. Good to hear.

Lowcoaster will not feel so much out in the boondocks now.. ;-)

Andrew Cribb
Since there are few NYCers here, I am wondering where you do your shopping for fishes and plants? For me, I go to China Town for fishes, especially discus. For plants, I go the the store called Aquarium Adventure in Long Island.

#12 ·
pineapple said:
Porkchop,

Great name for Brooklyn ;-)

I usually avoid the endless chain store in NYC and go to Pacific Aquarium on Delancey Street and Win Tropical on Mott Street.

Andrew Cribb
You can call me Jim instead. Porkchop was a nickname that my girlfriend gave me ,which has evolved from PIG. It sounds better in front of my friends.

Win Tropical is the small one in the middle of Mott Street, right? I go there too for cheap fishes. I also go to the expensive store on the corner of Mott just to get nicer discus.

As for the chain stores with nice setup, like Aquarium Adventure, I usually bring my girlfriend there as a cheap date. :-D

#13 ·
Yes, that store on the corner is expensive - for expensive tastes and large aquariums. I occasionally linger there. Not often. Pacific is more to my liking because it has plants. But then again, it is a little up from Chinatown.

Aquarium Adventure - I'll check that one. Not sure.

Andrew

#14 ·
Hi I'm a newbie also from Brooklyn, NY. Here's my experience with the local fish stores:

the one on delancy street is very good. all the tanks are clean, seems like a good selection of plants (but, i'm a newbie - so what do I know?).

9th street near 5th avenue (in brooklyn), good for anything not alive. the tanks have lots of dead fish and look very gunky. but the guy there has a great
brooklyn accent - so its fun just to get him talking.

there's a lfs on court street in carrol gardens - pretty small, live things seemed ok.

2 fish stores on 5th avenue in sunset park (around 58th &48th I think)
they were ok, but the service was not great. didn't speak english that well

one on flatbush near ave. 'n' I think - nice store, clean, lots of stuff. the owner seemed very helpful.

and I've been to the petco on 14th street in the village - well its sort of
mcfish store.

ohmygod - I just started and I can't believe I've been to all these stores. there's something wrong with me.

bopper

#16 ·
water quality in brooklyn?

Hi,
I'm wondering if people in brooklyn do anything special with water changes to
deal with water quality...
my tank is cycling, so I'm not sure whats causing the problem, but my fish
are exhibiting symptoms of being unhappy with the water..
ie. standing still a lot, one of them is at a slant..

thanx
bopper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.