Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this site lookin for problems with my plants. Not 1/2 a page in and I figure its due to my clown loaches and my clown pleco feasting on them. They don't bother the tall ones much but they do get stringy with holes and kinda die off still. The short ones kinda get a grid pattern and die off also. I have co2 comin in and a t5 light . I do have some moss on a floating log for my gourami. So this blocks light and its a column tank so I would imagine the light isn't. Reaching the bottom. Is it futile trying to grow plants with these fish? Or should I invest in some submersible lighting! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Welcome to the forum jonnyutah!

Do you have any close up pictures of the plant damage? It sounds like pleco damage but it is always good to double check. If it is pleco related it won't stop unless you remove the plants they like to munch on or the fish themselves.

The clown plecos I used to have didn't eat my plants at all. Are you sure the fish you have are clown plecos and not another species? Also, juvenile clown loaches typically eat eat snails not plants until they reach adulthood (which takes 10+ years, when they grow to over a foot long).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Likewise, I've had clown plecos without problems in planted tanks. Is the floating log real wood. Plecos like to rasp on driftwood and that might help your cause.

I'm in the Cleveland area, what part of OH are you in?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2012-09-27 00.41.54.jpg I'm from vermilion. I see my clown pleco hangin on em, maybe he's just cleanin them. Here's some pics. I'm glad these fish aren't suspected though! I can't seem to post a pic in quick reply.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Oh yes that is definitely pleco damage. It might be that the plecos are simply rasping on the leaves for algae and over time it damages the leaves.

Yeah, either remove the fish or try a new plant. Plants without big leaves tend to do better since the fish can't really sit on the leaves.

Try adding a piece of wood to the tank, clowns love eating wood it might help reduce the time they spend on the leaves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put a small piece of wood in for the pleco and you right, he loves it! Thanks for the advice! I use sand and I just realized my alkalinity level could be high. What would that cause and how could I tell without spending 50$ on a test kit

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Might be your substrate. Try taking some of it and put some vinegar or other acid on it. If it bubbles then its adding minerals to the water. Don't worry too much about pH and alkalinity. If the tank is doing ok then there is no need to mess with parameters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts