Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad I found the forum!!!

I'm new to the planted tank scene. I am converting a 180 gallon from a reef to planted and am excited. The reef scene got to be a little too much baby sitting. I'm planning on a self sustaining system. Except for a few water changes. I've orderd substrate from www.aquariumplants.com And I am waiting to get started.

My tank is 180 gallons with a 55 gallon sump. Built in the wall and viewable from 2 sides. I've ordered an automated Co2 system with a ph controller. Lighting will be 750w 10k halides to start with 400w PC actinics. a deep violet type actinic. The actinics have a very similar wave length to "grow" bulbs so we'll see what shakes out. I also have an auto top off system that holds 20 gallons in reserve. I'm hoping to uitlize that for dosing if necessary. Would love some input there.

I've got a couple of nice pieces of driftwood coming and as soon as I'm done buffing the acrylic to remove a couple scratches, I can get it filled up.

As for plants I have no idea, my wife has picked out a few that look good but I ordered a design from Aquarium plants. We'll see how it looks and go from there.

As for fish. I've seen a few really interesting things. It's been about 10 years since I've had freshwater and I really didn't know what I was doing back then. Also with the internet I've seen a lot more really cool fish. bumble bee gobies look neat, dragon gobys, rope fish. And I'm sure we'll have to have some tiger barbs and such. Inverts are fun, always love the fiddler crabs, newts and such.

I'm not very good at journaling, but I will try as I'd like everyone's critique as we go.

I look forward to chatting with you!!!!

Before.....

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Hi Jorgens,
Welcome to the world of planted tanks! APC is an excellent source of information and support, hopefully you will enjoy it as much as I do.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Jorgens. This is a great place to look for help. In addition, this is a great place to buy plants at the "For Sale or Trade" section of the forum. Here you'll find plants at excellent prices from fellow hobbyists.

Good Luck and looking forward to your journal.

Wishing you a Happy and a Prosperous New Year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello and welcome!

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Great to have you aboard... Welcome to APC :tea:

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Welcome to APC Jorgans!

Don't be afraid to ask questions as you go, and be sure to check the compatibility issues when you stock your fish. :)

Your salt tank is beautiful!

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
That's a huge quantity of light. It's OK, but you'll need to be exceptionally careful with CO2 and ferts. If low-maintenance is your goal, cutting that back substantially would be helpful.

·
Administrator
7,405 Posts
Welcome!

Bryce is right: that is quite a lot of light. It can be done, but as with riding a bike, the faster you go, the more it hurts when you fall off. The actinics are much more suited for reef organisms than freshwater plants. It would be best to replace them. On the whole, I'd cut back on the light - at least for now - or consider having the halides (perhaps leaving some of them out) on for a few hours at mid-day. It all really depends on what you'd like to grow.

So, ask plenty of questions and read, read, read. It will make any further queries you have that much easier to answer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts