Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Updates updates updates!

Ultum Nature 3n: Tank is still pretty slow in growth since this is our lowest tech setup. The betta is getting huge and his fins are changing colors for the better. If you compare the very first photo of this tank until now, (about 5 weeks), you can see his change. Also decided to get a single Amano for clean up duty since since algae dust is apparent.

Ultum Nature 5n: Plants are growing pretty fast in my opinion with the monte carlo carpeting and hair grass sp. sending out runners. Normal hair grass grows faster than hair grass belem apparently. This is the second week of the tank, now full cycled and running on CO2 injection via paintball for a little over a week.

Finally got a shot of one of the Ultum Nature 2c tank Bettas AKA Sesame. He's very elusive and coloring up very nicely!

ADA 90p: Finally the tank is clear so we got some green neon Tetras from Bob's Tropical LA who was able to give us the best price special ordered all the way from Florida overnight. Also on the next day, 5 Zebra Otos were overnighted, which are still very very rare after 10 years and hard to find. We paid a pretty penny for all of them but so worth it being able to finally afford and own them. Lots of character. The only thing missing are shrimp in this tank which we will add once the HC sends out more runners. As far as plants go, new grow and carpeting is starting to happen during the second week. The plants in this tank took a bigger hit than the one in the 5n maybe cause they were grown emersed. Slowly but surely...

50 Tetras (a few passed due to stressful transportation and travel but Bob's Tropical LA was kind enough to replace the doa for us!)

Zebra Otos acclimating - I want more!

Unfortunately one of the Otos probably got scratched on a rock or through transportation and got 'Cotton Wool' disease and now rushed into a hospital tank setup with API Pimafix and Melafix. We're hoping he pulls through since Otos are very sensitive fish. We're thinking the infection was passed onto him through one of the wild Tetras. He's still lively in his holding tank though but probably not happy at all...

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Decided to rescape the first 2g tank with Frodo Stone and transferred the 3g Betta in it while the Embers and CRS were switched over. This time we took the liberty of using the full ADA line up and the only plants that were used was UG.

One Zebra Oto unfortunately passed due to a fungal infection that we tried really hard to treat. However we were lucky enough to find a single one that was for sale at a LFS!

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The 2g finally cleared up and was able to get a photo of it...

Former 2g inhabitants now in the 3g along with 5 new CRS

Currently battling brown algae in the other 2g. Any tips on getting rid of it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really love all of your tank setup and your journal! Really interesting to read from beginning to the last post.

For brown algae, you might try to get some horned nerite snails. They are small and cute, so it is suitable for the nano tank, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
1 month update on the ADA 90p. Currently home to 70 green neon tetras, 5 amino shrimp, and 5 zebra ottos. Unfortunately, not sure why the older leaves are yellowing, but the plant is sending out lots of runners and long roots. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are the green neons easy? Thinking about getting 25 for my 20g long so any advice would be appreciated on how to keep them the happiest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1 month update on the ADA 90p. Currently home to 70 green neon tetras, 5 amino shrimp, and 5 zebra ottos. Unfortunately, not sure why the older leaves are yellowing, but the plant is sending out lots of runners and long roots. Any thoughts?

The plants might go through transition period from emersed to submersed and the old leaves will be gone. I think you can just trim the yellow leaves off.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Another round of weekly updates.

3n is growing hair grass just fine with no CO2 just slow growth. This is now the only tank without CO2 in house:

On the other hand, our 5n which has CO2... the hair grass has begun to grow into the foreground while planted in the background:

Next up is out dual dining table setup of 2c's with the left just replanted with hair grass belem cause for some reason out UG melt (???), weird but the hair grass is already sending roots after 3 days. Big shout out to SubstrateSource for fast and healthy delivery. On the right, we have crazy growth on the E. Tenellus and we had to cut and replant the whole background because out Betta would always hide out and uproot them like the devil he is. Also after replanting and a water change last we, I decided to fill the background with multiple species of Rotola and replace the E. Tenellus with Blood ***** which is already order as of today:

Finally we have the ADA 90p which unfortunately was struck by a CRAZY out break of ich, we did what we could with the Tetras and lost 1 Oto, SO SO SAD :( but in light of that we got 10 more Amanos to defend agains brown dust algae and a ADA hospital tank which will no doubt be scaped in the future some time. We've also been fighting against old growth yellowing which is screaming N deficiency so we bumped the CO2 and N dosing. We'll see how that turns out. The hair grass that we planted as a background plant has now creeped all the way up to the foreground so we'll be trimming for the first time soon while the fight continues...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Amazing stuff. I always enjoy seeing folks using the ADA method and outlining the steps; the method definitely changed my planted tank hobby for sure.

I notice you had quite a few tetras in that 90p. Does ADA have any recommendations regarding fish stocking levels? This is one bit of information I've been having trouble finding. I have a 120 gallon tank that will be getting a school of green neons in the next few months and am trying to figure out how many to order.

Also how much NO3 do you find yourself dosing in tanks with older Aquasoil (>a few months) or where the plants show N deficiency (with the yellow older leaves)?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I would say this is around day 45-50 update on the ADA 90p. Still dealing with ich and now snail outbreak (not sure where they came from which sucks). It's the only tank with snails and in a tank this big it's hard to control them. We got a puffer in hopes it'll have a feast. We'll see. The plants are growing just great, the HC is recovering with higher CO2, better CO2 circulation and also more N dosing. Notice the crazy growth of hair grass belem from background all the way to foreground. No trimmings has been done yet and it looks like we might have to soon.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Amazing stuff. I always enjoy seeing folks using the ADA method and outlining the steps; the method definitely changed my planted tank hobby for sure.

I notice you had quite a few tetras in that 90p. Does ADA have any recommendations regarding fish stocking levels? This is one bit of information I've been having trouble finding. I have a 120 gallon tank that will be getting a school of green neons in the next few months and am trying to figure out how many to order.

Also how much NO3 do you find yourself dosing in tanks with older Aquasoil (>a few months) or where the plants show N deficiency (with the yellow older leaves)?
For stocking we used a calculator here http://aqadvisor.com it really depends on water condition, filter size, etc.

NO3 wise, I keep bumping it just by eying the plants everyday. If the older leaves turn yellow, it's usually a sign of lower co2/N which I've messed a lot and has great affect.

·
Registered
195 Posts
For stocking we used a calculator here http://aqadvisor.com it really depends on water condition, filter size, etc.

NO3 wise, I keep bumping it just by eying the plants everyday. If the older leaves turn yellow, it's usually a sign of lower co2/N which I've messed a lot and has great affect.
Do you aim for max capacity or a lower percentage? Also in your experience do tanks with decent fish loads still need N supplementation?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I aim for max capacity, similar to what I think ADA does. I've often wondered how Amano was able to fit all those fish in his smaller tanks without having to worry about the 1" per gallon rule which really is a loose rule.

For N I would say having more fish don't really do much, I've had over 80 fish in the 90p and now it only has 5, I haven't adjusted my dosing. If anything it's really a small contribution of N then make in a high tech tank.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the input. Also, any tips for keeping DHG belem tidy? I find after a while I start getting runners/plants growing floating above the substrate, which turns into large unrooted patches.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Interesting, thanks for the input. Also, any tips for keeping DHG belem tidy? I find after a while I start getting runners/plants growing floating above the substrate, which turns into large unrooted patches.
We just cut all runners and replant the floating Hairgrass in order to avoid that very problem. The roots are thinner than other plants so they don't take hold as well. Might consider using a finer substrate to keep it down.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Dueling dining table setup updates:
The one on the right has been experiencing crazy rapid hair grass growth for whatever reason, we have no clue what we did right but this is the first time we've had tissue culture plants grow so fast with barely an maintenance. On the left, it's now home to 6 different sp. of Rotala since it's one of my favorite stem plant sp. We've been adding ADA ECA (iron) more frequently in an effort to make the reds, oranges, magentas, yellow and hopefully pinks pop more.

21 - 40 of 100 Posts