Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everybody.

I'm definitely new to the hobby. I just started my first aquarium about 2-3 months ago and got it stuck in my head that I wanted to make it planted. It just seems like a good idea to give the fishies something real to swim around in. This place seems like a wealth of information, so I'm looking forward to lurking some and learning as much as possible.

I've got a fully cycled, healthy 20 gallon high tank that's pretty much stocked, fish-wise. Four neon tetras (gonna add 2 more, I think), four white skirt tetras, two dwarf gouramis, and a panda garra. I'm still trying to locate plants that will work with my stock low-light setup at my lfs. Right now I've got some java fern, a ruffled sword, and some something-tropica rosette plant that seems to be growing a lot. Unfortunately my favorite fish place around Orlando is recovering from an algae bloom and hasn't restocked in a while, so I haven't found much more to add. I definitely need to add both tall and short plants, just haven't figured out what will work yet.

Thanks, and I'm happy to be here :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. You're find this very helpful, as I have. I started this hobby in June and have learnt a tremendous amount here.

What lighting are you using and what substrate are you using for the tank? Also, please share your water change frequency.

regards,
Ravi
My substrate is 100% flourite. I love the look, and from what I've read it's good for the plants. I'm sure there are better combos of substrates, but I figured this was better than plain gravel without getting too fancy.

As for lighting, I just have the stock 18" 15w light fixture, with a 20,000k coralife fluorescent bulb that I was told would help compensate for my very low lighting. Based on what I've read I'm now thinking either the guy didn't really know what he was talking about or I was a sucker. Chalk that up to a rookie not doing his homework, I guess. I've been considering buying another light, like this one: http://store.seacorals.net/24aq28wt5dol.html

Money's an issue, so I can't go crazy with it. I don't really want to go crazy with it, for that matter. I'm not even sure what type of tank cover to use with a light like that one. One of those plain glass covers?

I change about 10-15% of the water every week and a half or so with de-chlorinated tap water. Once cycled, my water has been pretty good. I don't have exact numbers, but the only problem seems to be low ph. Around 6.0 or just a little above, according to the fish place that checked it last for me. I haven't bought any test kits myself.

Sorry for the long post. Didn't want to leave anything out

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a pic of my current setup, btw. Not much to look at right now, but the fish are active and there's a little green in there. Sorry for the poor quality. The camera on my phone blows.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the link

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I'd rather have a cover of some type on there. So I guess my option if I went with this light would be a glass cover? I've never actually seen/used one before. I'm assuming there's space in the back for the filter and heater?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I've seen them in boxes at my lfs, but they're usually just plain cardboard boxes with very little additional info, so I wasn't sure what to expect with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.