Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

My name's Chris and I have just recently started having an aquarium. I'm on hiatus from college temporarily and am working at my local pet store as a wage slave stock boy =)

Currently, I have a 20L tank. It was originally just for my babies, my 2 African clawed frogs, but it just seemed so empty I had to do something! It's now home to a bristlenose pleco, 2 banjo cats (they were an accident! they hid in a plant I got from my store), and 8 platies (with some very pregnant females.
Substrate is just gravel currently, but tomorrow I wash and add a bag of flourite I just picked up.
Plants are some Echinodorus tenellus, Lobelia cardnialis, Anachris (known by many names!), Wisteria (left as a floater, to provide shade,looking very poor indeed, it was in poor health to begin with), a Java fern (just getting new little ones growing on it), and an Amazon sword plant. The tank is still actually fairly bare, as I mostly have only one of each type. Thinking bout getting more of the types I already have to fill it up a little, on the lookout for Java moss ecspecially. No one around here carries the stuff!
I just can't resist spoiling my froggies, fishies and palnts. Life is just so hectic and screwed up right now, my tank is my outlet for everything, it always makes me feel better. I usually spend an hour surfind the forum on here!

Anyways, enough rambling on my part. To the chat room!

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Hi Chris!

Great to have you here at APC!

Looks like you're taking the plunge into a more fertile substrate. Do let us know how it goes. Any questions, please post them in the Substrates forum. I'm sure you'll get plenty of help.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Welcome Chris :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How the substrate went

well that was just a bucket of fun. I rinsed the flourite a good dozen times before i added it to my tank, it seems it wasn't enough though. :( my tank turned to liquid mud. After an 80% water change last night, and another 50% change today, with my poor Penguin Biowheel running since last night, the water is almost back to being clear, still rather hazy.
Lost one of my platies to the horrid water conditions unfortunately, still got seven more, with 3 pregnant females so no huge loss. They were meant as food for the frogs anyway.
Plants are planted in the mix of flourite and gravel, we'll see how it does!
Looking into retrofitting my hood (only a 25 watt on a 20 gallon tank!) and adding a co2 system. My LFS has a hagen co2 system, with a little yeast reactor and diffuser, anyone know if they work?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts