Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started about a week and a half ago, when one of our yoyo loaches died.
Then another a few days later.
And then a full grown gold nugget pleco.

I just found a dead skunk loach.
Another gold nugget has been staying at the top of the tank and his eyes are VERY shrunken. A mango pleco's tail is tattered, and he isn't in that great shape. The skunk loaches have been moving around constantly.

All of the fish that stay in the upper layers are fine (discus and tetras) as are the corys.

The pH of the tank is a stable 5.8, the water is soft and the ammonia is stable. I've been doing water changes for the past couple of days, but nothing has done any good.

The tank was good oxygen levels, lots of wood and crypts, a dwarf anubius and a java fern in it. We haven't done anything to the tank recently.

Any idea what it is? I'm going to try to quarantine the mango and the gold nugget. I'd really rather not lose any more fish.

Help please?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Since it is only the bottom feeders, could your substrate be producing hydrogen sulfide gas? Poke a chop stick or something into the substrate and see if any bubbles come out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The substrate is actually big pebbles (about .5" in diameter) and is only about 1" deep. The last time I siphoned the tank (about a week ago) there were no bubbles. But I'll do a once-over just in case.

The plecos are still alive, but neither is looking any better. I did a huge water change yesterday, in case it was an ammonia problem, and I'll probably rinse the filters (we have 2 canisters that should both work on bigger tanks, because one of our other tanks is down while we renovate our upper level, so filtration really shouldn't be the problem) and see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'll probably rinse the filters
I'm sure you know to do this in a bucket of tank water.

Have you added any driftwood recently? New foods? Ferts? What is the stock level of the tank?

I'm surprised the cories have not been affected, as they are very susceptible to contaminants. Your plan to QT the plecos is a good idea. It never hurts to have a spare $1/gallon tank for such a purpose.

Good luck..

Jim

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No new driftwood. The most recent chaged to the tank was some major clipping of the java farn and anbias in the tank. No new ferts.

Bad news. The two plecos died. The filters were cleaned and there doesn't seem to be any changes in the tank's inhabitants (all of them are fine). The last pleco left in the tank, a king tiger, seems to not be affected. The cories are all still fine. I'll keep an eye on the tank, but I think it was either a spike in ammonia or some dort of bug.

The inhabitants are a discus, a few tetras, 4 loaches (clown, skunk and yoyo), about 8 cories, the pleco.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts