Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently set up a 6 gallon nano tank with ADA New Amazonia soil, couple pieces of stones as well as few stems of rotala, anubias nana petite, and narrow leaf java fern. Prior to this, I added a Cherry Red Shrimp to cycle the water faster. Eventually, the shrimp died off and I have been cycling the water for the past 2 weeks with a 50% change every week. It has been running daily with just light, co2, and filtration. This morning, when I went to turn on my light, I saw about 8 to 10 what appears to be very very skinny worm, it's definitely alive and wiggling all over and it seems to be enjoying the ride from the filter circulation. After I picked one of them up with a tweezer and placed it in the sink, it's body appear to be somewhat light brownish.

Can anyone identify this worm/parasite?

How in the world did this grew in my tank?

What will I need to eradicate this worm?

Here are some photos:

The tank

Worm on the tweezer

Worm in the sink

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Very likely not a parasite, just a very small freshwater Annelid, related to earthworms and tubafix that lives on algae and stuff in debris. Nothing to worry about. Look up freshwater Oligochaetes on Google and browse images for some of the species. I see two common genera in my aquaria: Aelosoma and Pristina.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I agree. Looks like a harmless annelid. All one needs to eradicate them is a hungry fish. ;) In any case, they're harmless detritivores and having them in your tank won't matter.

·
Super Moderator
5,893 Posts
The Skeptical Aquarist (my favorite writer on all things related to aquaria) says, "If you can see it, it almost certainly isn't a parasite." The exceptions being parasitic leeches (fairly rare in aquaria) and Camalanus nematodes, but those disgusting things are red and hang from the anus of the infested fish.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys! I appreciate all of your input. I was thinking that this can potentially harm my shrimp or fish I will be adding to the tank. It's just that I cannot stand looking at them wiggling around in the water, it looks unsightly. I will be picking them out one at a time :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got them... and I remember going crazy trying to get them out.... you will only fail like me lol.
Now I love them, and they are welcomed in my aquarium. Great food for my pandas. (if you get fish do not over feed.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts