Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Help ID growth?!?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  hariom 
#1 ·
Can anybody tell me what this brown furry looking growth is? It seems to be taking over! I am somewhat of a noob to the live planted aquarium and not sure if this is normal?! :confused:

The tank: 14 biocube
co2: using fluval 88
I have been using fertilizers from Flourish: Comprehensive Supplement (about 3-weeks)
Just started using a Nitrogen and potassium supplement today with guidance from the LFS
lighting aprox 9-10 hours a day (Stock lighting came with Bio-cube)

Fish: 4 rummy nosed tetras, 2-miniature corydoras, 6-ghost shrimp and 1-zebra snail.

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
It's ALGAE! ;)

Okay, Flourish Comp is micro-nutrients only, juts FYI. Which "Nitrogen and Potassium supplement" did you get? And what about Phosphorus? You might not even need ferts at all, depending on your light.

The light is the stock that came with the cube, how many watts is it and what kind of bulb (curved thin tube (PC) or straight bulb (t-5 or t-8 ), etc... )? And what substrate are you using?

#5 ·
before the ferts and light check, make sure your levels of CO2 are adequate in the water column. i've had this algae in my tanks when my levels of co2 were very low. also make sure that there is enough water flow around the plants....lack of co2 will mask lack of lighting and nutrients.....so eliminate that factor before you proceed with further steps.

you can also refer to this diagram and checklist for more info: http://emergingintuitions.com/aquacalcinfographics/?p=333

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.