Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
It looks like mini pellia to me. I certainly wouldn't want to 2nd quess Cavan but I just got mini pellia a couple months ago that looks just like this.

·
Administrator
7,398 Posts
It looks like mini pellia to me. I certainly wouldn't want to 2nd quess Cavan but I just got mini pellia a couple months ago that looks just like this.
Same thing. Of course, neither are really Pellia. I prefer scientific names though, as they're slightly less confusing. :p

·
Administrator
7,398 Posts
Sorry, I am going to have to stir things up and say that's not pelia
Nobody is saying it is. It's just a common name that's sometimes used for Riccardia species, much like Pellia is sometimes used for Monosolenium tenerum. IMO, both common names are rather unfortunate.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Not trying to start an argument, just stating my opinion. If you look close it seems as though it has alternating leaves or whatever you want to call it. I might even say that it looks kind of terrestrial.

·
Administrator
7,398 Posts
Not trying to start an argument, just stating my opinion. If you look close it seems as though it has alternating leaves or whatever you want to call it. I might even say that it looks kind of terrestrial.
Nobody is saying you're trying to start an argument. :p Yes, it does look a bit different what's in the other photo here. Could be the effects of different conditions, less time under water, etc. Maybe a different species or even genus. It does look like a liverwort though, so if it's not actually Riccardia, that's at least a good place to start.

How did you obtain it Vadim?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi Vadim, I think you need to let it convert itself to submerser form and see if it survive. I do believe it might change it look. Let us know after it has been converted to submerse form. I estimate you need afew month.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Accidentally found a few small pieces to other mosses from Thailand, but was not Riccardia. They can see the middle driftwood, darker, lighter part of it is grown under water, tied at the end of December 08, yet not so bad growing under water. I have not seen graffei, on the photo is very similar, but perhaps it is a different species or genus.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hello Vadim,
I agree with HeyPK, it looks like a foliose (=leafy) liverwort. There are already some species of foliose liverworts in the aquarium hobby, apparently mostly with incorrect botanical names.
Any informations about the origin of Your moss? From the trade? From which company?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts