Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what is that plant? It was givven to me as didiplis diandra but I'm not sure.
The plant :

another one :

Thabks

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'd be inclined to think it was either Rotala sp. 'Nanjenshan' or Mayaca sellowiana. It's hard to tell, though.

-Naomi

·
Registered
493 Posts
naomi i think the mayaca u mentioned and the rotala - both r the same plant - anyway thanks for id'ing this plant as i gave it to jerime and i tot it was something else

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
It is Rotala sp Nanjenshan.

Mayaca sellowiana is a totally different plant (a larger version of Mayaca fluviatilis, and in a totally different plant family).

Carlos

·
Registered
493 Posts
im sorry tsunami, but i think u have a mistake here. im holding the "aquarium plants" by christel kasselmann and i quote : rotala sp. nanjenshan ... has been part of the regular stock of pet shops since about 1995. (it was traded under the name mayaca sellowiana for short time)
and more:
"rotala sp. nanjenshan has been imported from taiwan by aqautic plant nursery dennerle since 1993...... although they can be easily confused, rotala sp. nanjenshan can be distinguished from mayaca fluviatilis by its verticillate leaf arrangement and longer leaves"

so i guess by not having verticilllate leaves and shorter leaves - what jerime has (he took it from me) is the nanjenshan= rottala sallowiana

here is another pics from my tank

·
Registered
493 Posts
mor b said:
im sorry tsunami, but i think u have a mistake here. im holding the "aquarium plants" by christel kasselmann and i quote : rotala sp. nanjenshan ... has been part of the regular stock of pet shops since about 1995. (it was traded under the name mayaca sellowiana for short time)
and more:
"rotala sp. nanjenshan has been imported from taiwan by aqautic plant nursery dennerle since 1993...... although they can be easily confused, rotala sp. nanjenshan can be distinguished from mayaca fluviatilis by its verticillate leaf arrangement and longer leaves"

so i guess by not having verticilllate leaves and shorter leaves - what jerime has (he took it from me) is the nanjenshan= rottala sallowiana
if u still think i have a mistake - please show me the pics of the two different plants so i can c - thanks

here is another pics from my tank

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Your information is a little dated. Rotala sp Nanjenshan has recently be reclassified as a totally different plant from Mayaca sellowiana.

In my 2002 version of the Oriental Aquarium Handbook, they list Rotala sp Nanjenshan as part of the Lythraceae. I have grown this plant, and it is definitely NOTHING like Mayaca. More like a green, slightly coarser leaved R. wallichii.

The handbook also lists, in a totally different family, Mayaca sellowiana, which is described as a larger species than Mayaca fluviatilis. The Mayaca sellowiana they describe does not look like R. Nanjenshan and does not look like the plant in the photo above.

Just saying...

Carlos

·
Registered
898 Posts
I agree with Carlos. I've had both Rotala sp. Nanjenshan and M. sellowiana
and they're truly different plants. The one in your picture above
looks like Rotala sp. Nanjenshan

·
Registered
493 Posts
ok u convinced me/ could u please show a pic of both plants? preferably in the same tank. and carlos - could u tell me the full name of the book and who wrote it please?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts