Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been planning (more like dreaming) about staring my own paludarium, i want a 75 gallon tank that will divide the land and water by plexiglass, the land will have holes drilled beneath it for drainage. I want to run water underneath the land thru pvc pipe into a waterfall area where i will have my filter, i also want a screen canopy on the top for more climbing room. I intend to put some small fish in the water, probably neon's or danio's, and some simple frogs and toads in the land part, green and whites tree frog, anoles, also a i want all of my plants to be real. I want to make the tank look as real as i possibly can, any ideas from those with experience would be greatful

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've built a number of terrariums and paladariums, so I can help. When I built my last one, I used egg crate (used to cover lights) supported by cut pieces of PVC pipe to keep the "land" section above the water table. I cut pieces of styrofoam and glued them to another section of egg crate, then I covered the styrofoam with underlayment concrete which is grey in color and after several coats, looks very much like rock. (Several soakings of vinegar then water remove any harmful substances) I used this "rock wall" to divide the "land" area from the "water" area. (I glued more styrofoam and underlayment to the back wall as a background as well.) Thus, I had a paladarium that was separated by a "rock" wall and had a completely "dry" land area. A section of the divider was removable and allowed me to access my filter underneath the "land" section, but I wish that I had just used a canister filter instead... Oh well, I hope that this helps. If it does not, search google for "paladariums" or "Poison Dart Frogs" and you'll find plenty of websites that have pictures of what I was talking about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i was hoping for some feedback on the idea i had, hopefully the picture could explain it better than i can, would this idea work?

·
Registered
16 Posts
i had a tank with a plexiglass divider in the middle for anoles and it was terrible the water overflowed even if i didnt fill it with water and two weeks after the plexiglass divider came loose and all the dirt and water mixed which equaled a huge mess (this is just my advice though)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts