Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found in a rock quarry in berks co., pa. has serrated leaf edges and thick fleshy stock with roots. the stock is segmented. i believe it propogates by runners as offshoots of a larger one i got also has rooted segments. was covered with algae and mud when i got it so i was surprised by the nice purplish hue in the leaves when i got it home and washed it off.

http://www.msnusers.com/ec3makg3kb6qeilah3vdn95eh0/Documents/Pictures/plants 003.jpg

65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've tried that steve, but it says the file is too large? i dont know why the link isnt working? ill try to add it as an attachment. if some one doesnt mind, ill email it to them and then maybe you could post it for me? thanks. regards. mike

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Your description sounds like Mermaid weed. Proserpinaca palustris. Here is a pic. Its not mine, BTW.

·
Registered
542 Posts
If anyone ever has any problem reducing the size of a graphics file, send me an email about it, giving number of photos, original size etc. I can resample jpgs very easily. I usually get them down to 6 inches long and 72 dpi for Internet work. I usually compress them to about 50 to 75k and they still look good.

Steve

·
Registered
886 Posts
I think its probably a non-aquatic plant. Purple waffle or something like that. That purple hue, I thought was a terrestrial plant quality. Someone else might have a better answer.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have no idea, although I have seen some purple crypts, so you never know. Maybe you will get lucky and have a nice aquatic plant for your tank though :)

65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes it does steve, except the stalks are not purple. maybe if it grew out of the water they would be purple? if you look at the very bottom of the picture, you can see roots growing at the highest visible segment. would a terrestrial plant do this? since being in the aquarium the leaves have lost their purple hue, but the plant itself is still very healthy. the runoff where i found it doesnt dry up. so maybe it is a plant that is supposed to be emmersed for the leaves to stay purple? or in a very moist(boglike) area? right behind it in the picture is one of the offshoots i was talking about. the leaves are thick and a really bright green. thanks for all the input.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts