Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tank is 75gal (48x18x20) And I currently have two XP3 cannisters running for filtration. The right side filter return (open pipe) is low at the back corner of the tank and directing flow across the back. The left side return is a spraybar across the upper left wall of the tank directing flow horizontally across the top of the tank. One filter has my UVS inline, the other my CO2 reactor inline.

This sets up a fairly good circular flow. However, I seem to have a pretty good dead spot across the very front of the tank and in the lower left corner in particular. Seems like this is the area where any fish waste ends up anyhow.

I also have a powerhead that I was using to drive my UV sterilizer. The UVS is now plumbed inline so I would like to use the powerhead to help eliminate the dead spot. But I can't quite find the right spot. Unless of course, I mount it up front where it would stick out like a sore thumb and just point it down the length of the front of the tank.

So any suggestions appreciated.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
Koralia type powerheads are a great invention! They give a lot of water movement, but without the very high velocities that cause plants to be blown out of the substrate. They do cost more than other powerheads, but I find mine to be worth the cost. I use it to establish a circular current around the tank, and to blow CO2 bubbles around the tank. The filter output goes diagonally across the top of the tank to get some top to bottom circulation. But, a lot depends on your aquascape, how much open water area you have. I use an XP3 too, and it gives good current, but nothing compared to the Koralia model 1, the second smallest one they make. My tank is 45 gallons.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm definitely not opposed to buying a Koralia. Just trying to figure out placement so it will blend in with everything and still clear out my dead spots.

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
A photo showing your aquascape would make it easier to guess at the best place for a powerhead. Plants can really block the water circulation, so you almost have to have an open area completely around the tank to maintain a good circular circulation. Otherwise, you can find other ways to circulate the water, perhaps different for each area of the tank.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hey dogdoc,

I'm using the Eheim Aquaball Powerhead 1212 for my 20G long as my only water movement source. No filter. I bought it at BigAlsOnline.

regards,
Ravi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts