Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man! so many options if you have a 36" or greater tank, but for my 20" 10 gallon there just aren't as many choices. What would you buy? I am looking at the Current USA line, I like the orbit light but 80 watts seems excessive, no? The Current USA 1x40 watt model seems good, but I can't find a retailer that will subsititute the 10K/atcinic for a 6700K on the 20" version.
My requirements: (tank is 10 gallons standard, DIY CO2, wide plant mix)
Supports High light plants
Attractive appearance
Leg mounting option a plus
Installed LED Moon light a plus

·
Registered
193 Posts
Coralife has a 20 inch strip light....28 watt 50/50 square pin base compact fluorescent lamp.It cost about 36 bucks and you can buy the mounting legs if you want them.
If you have some money to burn you can get this...20" Orbit PC / Lunar Lights 2-40W/1-Moon (Current)..price 119.99

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Current USA's 1x40w setup (think it is the satellite one) will provide greater amounts of lighting than the 1x28 watt. I setup a tank for the resident head of my dormitory with a 1x28w, and she could grow only low light plants in it (and Rotala rotundifolia).

Carlos

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Well, I have a 36 watt PC over my 10 gallon and it seems to provide sufficient lighting for my needs. Plants like Elatine, glosso, HM, HC, Bylxa japonica etc have all grown just fine under this lighting. AH supply has good retrofit kits. Talk to Carlos about his hood if you are intrested something custom;)

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I would go with the Current USA 1x40. You may have to buy a separate plant bulb if no one will exchange out the 50/50.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Better yet, purchase a DIY CF, from WWW.AHSUPPLY.COM. THey have great customer service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also looking to upgrade my little 10 gal tank.
Currently:
2-20 watt screw-in bulbs

I've upgraded the substrate to eco-complete, added CO2, fertilizer, 50% distilled water (our tap is hard) and still the plants just don't seem to thrive. It must be the lighting. They did seem to do a little better in the summer when the tanks gets more natural lite.

If I upgrade to the Satellite Fluorescent Compact Light, 20", 1 x 40 watt I guess the current hoods is not used and the light mounts above an open tank. Will the open tank lighting be distracting?

Jim

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone who gave me their advice.
I did a bit of a cost analysis between the 2 contenders.

Current USA 1x40: 49
Dual Daylight bulb: 20
Mounting legs: 6
Shipping/handling: 9

Total: 84

AHSupply 36w kit: 42
6700K Bulb: 16
Moonlight LED 14 (estimate from EBay)
Shipping/Handling: 10 (Added a couple bucks for seperate eBay moonlight)

Total: 82

So, I'm going with the Current USA fixture. The 2 extra bucks I spend will be made up by the appearance of the fixture, not having to DIY it into a hood, and not having to buy a seperate moonlight and DIY it as well. I ordered it tonight, from Drsfostersmith.com, even though the price is a few bucks more than some cheaper sites because they had other stuff I wanted, offered several shipping methods, and have given me good/fast service in the past. Thanks again to all of you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts