Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be remodeling my 35g (36x12x20) soon and I'm hoping to get some plants that can grow above the surface. I have a homebuilt hood that I built tall (about 10" about water surface) for a MH bulb. But now I will be putting in 3x24" T5 bulbs. I hoping to use the extra space under my hood to grow some plants above the surface but I'm not sure what I should use.

I'm planning on having about 2 watts per gallon, having a DIY 2 Liter Co2, small red gravel (similar to red flourite), and dosing with flourish.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
The majority of stem plants will grow emersed. Look through the plantfinder and see what you might want to try.

·
Registered
310 Posts
You can also check Tropica's website. All the plants you see there (I can't recall an exception right now) grow emersed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
red temple was great for me. i think hygro will also do very well. typically, the stem plants with thick stems underwater are strong enough to support growth out of the water. some just never really grow out of the water until they reach a corner or something else to support them and then they'll grow out.

know what was also great? anubias species!! they EXPLODED with growth when they reached the air. they even flowered profusely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts