Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.
I am going to start stocking my 26 gallon planted tank in about 2 weeks, and I wanted to make a stocking plan before I did.
I did have a 14 gallon BioCube with 4 Corydoras, 2 Platies, and 5 Harlequin Rasboras. But, I got back from a 2 week vacation early this week and noticed that my fish all had Ick and Popeye. They seemed alright, and so I tried to boost up the temperature and I gave them Ick Meds. (I was planning to get Popeye Meds today), but I guess I was to late. Within last night and today all of them died. Since I already had those fish, I made a stocking plan that included them (It wasn't my favorite but I knew it had to work for them). This was it.

8 Harlequin Rasboras
6 Rummynose Tetras
2 Platies (Centerpiece)
6 Corydoras
1 Bristlenose Pleco

Since it wasn't really my favorite, and now, looking at it positively, I'm not completely limited to the fish, and could start from scratch. So, since I'm completely open now, it would be great if you guys could help me out with a stocking plan. The only things I'm pikki on is that I would like some algae eaters, and a centerpiece fish.

Thanks.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Most of the opinions you will probably get are usually just personal so here is mine.
I think a school of certain fish look great rather than a show fish. I got a 29 gallon that I'm thinking of stocking with the following:
20 Rummynosed Tetras
3 to 5 Corys
1 Bristlenosed pleco
5 ottos
1 to 3 Zebra Loaches (snail control)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot. Personal opinions is exactly what I'm going for. I do have my own personal opinions, but hearing other people who may be more experienced then myself is always fun.
I really like your idea of sticking with one type of fish, and not having centerpiece. Just a nice and big shoal.
I know you gave me stocking for your 29 gallon, but just to help me out a bit, is that stocking yours to the max or just a healthy amount?
The one thing I'm worried about though is that aren't Cories supposed to be in at least a group of 6, and Zebra Loaches, 5?
Not looking at any problems though, do you think this would work for a 26 gallon planted tank (Non of these fish will destroy my plants, right?)?

18-20 Rummynose Tetras
4 Corydoras
5 Ottos
2-3 Zebra Loaches
1 BN Pleco

Please if anyone has any other stocking ideas or ways to improve this one for my settings, please post!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Probably what I gave you is alright for your tank, depending on C02, circulation and plant mass. I have one Zebra Loach currently and he is quite happy by himself and eating snails. Have three yoyo loaches with him in a 50 and they seem to get along together. I'll be stocking the 29 in a week or so. Got it planted and got corys, bn and ottos in it now along with a about 20 swordtail and molly babies. Will move out the babies soon as they growing quite fast.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I personally wouldn't go with the Bristlenose in a 14 gallon. Even though they don't get that big, they are messier fish than many of the smaller ones. The smallest tank size I would consider putting one in is a 29 gallon.
The Oto's will be more than sufficient to take care of any algae in a tank that size.

Other than that, you plan looks good. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again.
I do have pressurized CO2, but I am having problems with it, so I am currently running 2 DIY Bottles. My water circulation is from an EHEIM Classic 2213 Canister, and from a 10 gallon air-pump (Will run at nighttime since I can't stop my DIY). I don't know how I could measure plant mass, but I am pretty loaded.
JanS, I think you might have understood wrong. I have a 14 gallon Biocube that had fish that I was going to put in my NEW 26 gallon, but after coming back from vacation they all managed to get ick and popeye, and by time I gave them meds. I guess it was too late. So, the bristlenose would be for my 26 gallon planted tank.
I know you said 29 should be minimum, but how to you think they would do in a 26?

Thanks, and everybody please post stocking ideas! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts