kh 5
no3 40ppm
po4 5-10 ppm
1 w/l
its not growing and one of my only 3 stems look bad

·
Registered
852 Posts
Cabomba furcata needs good light...I don't know if 1w/l is enough. Mine is doing well in hard water with 5.5 wpg.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Unless I am wrong, 1W/l is almost 4W/gal. I would look elsewhere for the problem. You do have a lot of NO3 there. Are you adding traces?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes my no3 is about 40-50ppm and i do add micros,
btw i took it off of the substrate and placed it even closer to the light with the small pot i got with it

·
Registered
739 Posts
1 w/l is plenty of light, furcata is growing for me under less than half that amount. What is it doing exactly? I mean is it melting, shedding, stunting, turning pale..... it could be many things.

Why are your NO3 and PO4 so high? Makes me wonder if something is missing in your tank and therefore plants are not growing well and consuming enough macros. What is your FE level? What is your water change and fertilization schedule?

The more info you give us the easier it will be to find the cause.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi again
i dose macro's once a week and its not melting but its in the same condition as it arrived to me and all the others are growing faster
i dont check the iron level
w/c - 10% each week
fert - kno3 on daily basis
fe gluconate on daily basis
and macros and P after w/c - once a week

·
Registered
739 Posts
You got all macros by the looks of it. Where are the micros? (Trace elements)

A shortage of trace elements would explain things easily, it would also explain the exagerated no3 and po4 levels you have.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry mr. podio but i do use csm+b also... forgot to mension that. i moved it to another location and it look promissing though

could it b because all the substrate occupied by the glosso and dont give any place for the furcata to anchor? - i tot that cabomba species dont need to much place for their roots though cause they take the nutrients from the water column

·
Registered
852 Posts
If that's a sick-looking plant to you...

...wowee.

C. furcata has always been one of my favorite plants, and I think yours looks great. :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its not sick but its not growing for 3 week (since i got it) - im afraid to trim its "head" and loose the whole plant cause i got it from thailand and cant get another one here, its only 2.5-5 inches long - can i cut it?

·
Registered
852 Posts
My C. furcata has acted like that lately too. Superb color but slow growth. My tank parameters are more ideal than they were when I first started with the stuff...strange.

You could try messing with the N and the P for a little while to see what happens.

The so-called "soft water" plants are so darn finicky :(

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I think you need to do 50% weekly water changes, then start dosing KNO3/PO4.

Mine grows about 15-25cm a week.
From the looks of it, it seems like you are actually NO3 deficient.
Even if your test kits say you are not. The growth pattern there tells more than than some cheapy NO3 test kit.
If there is CO2/light/traces, PO4 etc, then the plant should not look like that at all, unless poor NO3.

Try the water change and then dose some KNO3 back and see.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Did you try my advice?
You should a response within a couple of days.
Let me know if you lose it, I have more and can send it to you if need be.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks tom ' i added more n but did only 20% w/c - twice already - it shows some positive response and for security i moved a piece of it to another tank , thanks again

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I've got many years growing this weed.
I do very well with it. Too well really.

When you have the compressed internodes and very heavy red color on the lower portions, NO3 levels tend to be chronically low.

Some plants exhibit different reactions and growth to low NO3. Some plants might look great while others almost die or stunt.

As I said, when the NO3 levels are not low, the growth rate is at least 25cm a week for my plants. I kept it in Marin and also have it right now.

The same can be said for Blyxa japonica. I have so much of it, it's coming out my ears.

I have an article coming out in Italian in Aqua Planta and in TAG in English on Nitrogen cycling.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
blyxa japonica

hi tom
my name is baruch mor n im looking for blyxa jap. for a VERY LONG TIME here in israel without good results... would u send me a few plants to start with please? i would pay everything , all the shipping and the price of the plants even if they will die in their way ......... i am an foriegn exchange trader in a bank - so its not a problem for me to transfer u the money everywhere in the world...
and if its ok , i would like a few stems of rotala macrandra too.
thanks and have a good day

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks Tom For explaining that to me. I thought compressed internodes..like growing reg. houseplants....equals good light. It's when you have too low of a light that it leads to larger internodal spacing.
Interesting symptoms of N def. Hopefully I can catch your article!

Chris

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I can send you some, but realize that both countries have become really anal about imports and mailing. So it might come cooked or might not makes it for a few days. DHL is one of the better methods.

Sending stem plants is tough. They often melt due to heat.

Short internoldal spacing can be from a few things. In this case, the intense red color is nice, but the slow growth and close internodes is not a sign of good fast growth and that something is slowing the plant down.

Cabombas are very fast growing weeds and tend to be very good competitors for nitrogen.
Therefore it's unlikely that the rate of N being added is very high. N is the main driving nutrient for biomass growth after CO2/Light.

PO4 on the other can be low and plant biomass maybe unaffected in many cases. Some plants are different but Cabombas are fast growers and easy to talk about.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
190 Posts
I understand now. It's actually the rate of growth that is influenced by N availability...and hence internodal spacing....which should be larger in fast growing plants. Makes sense.

Thanks Tom!

Chris

1 - 20 of 27 Posts