Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Well give it a try and see for yourself.
Add and limit N and see what it does to certain plants.
Linmit severely, limit moderately, add a certain non limiting amount, dump lots of N in etc.

Then you'll know for yourself.
Fast growing plants are particularly useful for determining effects on growth because they are expressed more pronounced than slow growers.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
This plant really does better in soft, acidic water, as well as bright light. Tom Barr's typical response is always, "it grows like a weed for me in hard water," but I wonder if he really knows furcata is different than any other Cabomba specie. Furcata is not a fast grower like Cabomba carolinia, which makes me wonder if he ever actually grew it when he made that comment. His comment was made back in 2004, so maybe he has changed his mind since then, who knows.

From my experience, give it as much light as possible, and acidic water, and you shouldn't have any problem with it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Due to many variables, what works for one person may not work for another.
There are some plants that require soft water.

That being said, it grows like a weed for me in hard water.

With plenty of light (technically initial growing was with 5WPG in a water depth of 24-inches, but the bulbs were old), gentle CO2 mist and nutrient dosing, it grew about 12 inches a week and bloomed regularly. However, trimming two times a week gets old, quick. With lower C02 and lower nitrates it grows at more controlled rate. The color is also redder but the stems are not as thick.

From my experience, give it high light (>3WPG), CO2 supplementation and nutrient supplementation. Initially use water column dosing and optionally a nutrient rich substrate and you probably will not have any problem with it.

I have heard good things about soft, acidic water but I have not tried this with C. furcata.
I am not sure what the water conditions were at previous zip codes where I grew plants as I did not understand that soft acidic water was important.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts