Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
534 Posts
Going to the local fish store and checking you water will just be chasing a dragon. I have some very good fish stores in my area, even some that are supposed to be plant experts and they are no help with a high tech aquarium. When I had this issue I went to a six hour photo period and in a few weeks every thing cleared. Give it time and only change things one at a time, every few weeks or so. Remember that it is never too much of anythings that causes algae but not enough.

· Registered
534 Posts
I have seen small ammonia spikes cause this algae, usually due to a disturbance in the biological filter. Some thing like cleaning the filter with tap water will kill all of the beneficial bacteria. This causes a small ammonia spike in the tank and the algae takes action before the plants can adjust and start to take in the ammonia. The spike is not enough to affect the fish or plant growth but it will cause this algae. When thing get reestablished this will fade and go away.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.