Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am quite new to the planted aquarium scene and was doing OK for awhile. I have a natural gravel mixed 50/50 with Seachem flourite. I was using the Seachem liquid plant foods to supplement my plants but lately have been having trouble with being able to add it on time because I am out of town quite a bit. I have heard of some sort of pellet that could be used instead. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I don't have any type of CO2 system and saw these disks that go right into the tank. How good do they work?

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
There is root tabs that can be used under the substrate to give plants nutrients. The only drawback is that they only work for plants that are heavy root feeders, such as Crypts & swords. Since the majority of plants asorb nutrients through their leaves, it is still important to fertilize the water column.

Those C02 disk only supply a unsteady co2 source for a short period of time. So they really are not a good way to supply carbon to your plants.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't know what your tank specs are but if it is on the lower light end and If you dont have any sensitive fauna, try using Flourish Excel as a carbon source.

Additionally, as trenac stated, the manner in which you need to supply fertilization relies largely on the type of plant you are growing and where that plant draws its primary source of nutrients

1 - 3 of 3 Posts