Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the sms122 with the regulator package. I read all the manuals and I still dont get it. What do I do first? What do I set the controller at before I calibrate it. And what I'm I looking for before I fiddle around the the screw in the back. The fluid that came with it is 7.01 how much do I use and would I have to buy the 4.01 too. I need help guys, thanks

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
You don't need the pH 4 solution, calibrating to the 7.01 is sufficent for our usage. The manual can be somewhat confusing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello and welcome

I also recently obtained the same Ph monitor and had the same confusion, so here is the step by step instructions i got.

1) plug in the monitor
2) insert a minimum of 1 inch of the probe into 7.01 solution and let is sit there for a few minutes and then calibrate using the screw in the front left side
3) Do not reuse calibration fluid again so therefore discard it
4) plug in the Co2 regulator
5) set the black dial in the front to the desired Ph level you would like to keep your Co2 level at.
6) Do not do aything with the screw in the back. Per Milwaukee and you may have received a litle card with your purchase, it indicates that you do not need to calibrate using the 4.0 solution for aquarium use.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Well, I just got one of these also and have a question or 2 of my own. Yes, the manual can be quite confusing.

-The cord you plug your sloenoid into, also plugs into the wall, correct? That is how the solenoid actually gets is power whenthe controller allows it to be on?

-I read a while back about makingyourown 7.0 calibration solution easily and cheaply but I cannot find that anywhere now. I did not get any with my controller ("used"). Do I need to purchase the actaul 7.0? The manual also mentions dipping the probe in a special cleaning solution prior to use, what is this solution?

TIA:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Dennis

Yup you are 100% right on the first question. One wire goes into the monitor and the plug you plug it into the wall outlet.

I don't know about making your own 7.0 solution however. Its fairly cheap so I just bought some from my LFS. There no particular cleaning solution that i know of. However, before you turn on the monitor ensure that the probe has been sitting in the solution for a few minutes.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts