Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After finally stabilizing my 29 gallon planted tank, instituting EI dosing, and with pretty consistent DIY CO2, my stem plants are growing out of control (not a bad thing) and I need to trim them. I will try to replant some, but I don't have room for all. I would appreciate some advice re the initial trimming. For example, is it recommended that if you discard some you discard the top or replant the top and discard the bottom?

Specifically, I am talking about Cobumba, Rotala Rotafiunda, ludwigia replens, Rotala sp. green and ludwigia replens/Acuata.

thank you

·
Super Moderator
7,429 Posts
How you prune is up to you, and it depends on your objectives and how you planted the stem plants to start with. If you want to make a bunch of Rotala's become more like a bush, you trim the tops and leave the bottoms in place, trying to shape the "bush" as you trim. If you are using stems as accent plants, and the bottoms are getting ratty and full of aerial roots, you save the tops, discard the bottoms and replant the tops. If you want more of a certain plant you save the bottoms and replant the cut off tops.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts