Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have recently set up a 65 cm tall cylinder tank, with diameter about 30 cm for shrimps. Plants are only nanas and spiky moss on wood. Currently, I am using a clip on 13W PL light, but because of the depth of the tank, the light is not penetrating to the bottom.

Have tried to look for a higher wattage clip on, but seems that 13 W is the highest.
Please advise on the type of lighting that I should use.
Personally prefer clip ons, or those reading lamps as they complement the tank better.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
What about a 70 watt HQI halide?

several companys make them in both hanging and clamp on. They are about 10" wide ( 25 cm)

Then again I love halides.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Could you change the bulb to a higher wattage? Look at my shrimp tank thread at post #61, page 7. They make those in high wattages. Could you use 2 clip-ons?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

thanks for the reply.
I was thinking of changing to a higher wattage bulb. But according to most I asked, they said that since the light was build for 13W, even if you were to change it to say 18 W, it will not light up.

Have you tried changing to a higher wattage bulb on a lower wattage light? Did it work??

I am reluctant to use 2 clip on because it spoils the aesthetic look of it.

Anyway, I tried to look for your thread on the shrimp tank, but failed to find.
Maybe you can paste the link here??

Greatly Appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
The shrimp tank link is under my signature line. Just click where it says 10g Shrimp Tank.

I'm not sure about what you mean when you say the light was for a 13W. Is this a screw in flourescent? If so you can change wattages and get more light. If it is for a certain length tube then the wattage is set to the length of the tube.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

the clip on light has output 9W to 13W, meaning 13W is the max wattage it can emit. Even if you were to change to a 18W, it will not light up. That is why i cannot change the bulb.

Anyway, recently saw a dymax octopus lamp 150W metal halide. read from other posts that metal halide is good for penetrating deep tanks, so might be suitable for me.

But it cost SGD230, so not sure whether it is worth buying, when I only have moss and nanas petite in my tank.
What do you think?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts