Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, to start of I'm going to be honest I have a really, really bad aquascape. There's no real placement of the plants, I have a little bit of BBA lying around after an infestation and the tank is just all around ugly. I have tried to fix it myself, but to no avail. That's why I have turned to the online aquascaping community to help me remake my tank and turn it into an Iwagumi setup. I will start with a few problem areas using pictures:

The entire tank:

Looking over all of it, the main problem I find is that there is a huge lack of balance with rocks and the hardscape, what should I do to restore balance? Also the driftwood placement is bothering me, What should I do with it, remove it? I am also finding that I have glossostigma growing up into the sky. While I do have high lights, I believe this to be the product of the duckweed at the top of the tank, how do I prevent it from growing so my plants can get light? You will also notice that BBA is quite prevalent. I have started stabilizing my co2 injections and limiting my light as well as using an algaecide, but how can I get rid of the rest? Should I use a UV filter? The biggest problem with this is the plants. I feel I am using all the wrong stuff in the wrong places. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what plants to use where and how to grow them well.

Problem area 1:

Problem area 1 is the substrate. As you can see, The main issue is the BBA covering many of the small stones. Along with this, The substrate also seems very ugly. I got it to house a lot of nitrifying bacteria, and it seems to be doing the trick to get rid of nitrates. I was wondering if I should cover it with a sand of some sort, but I don't know what color or kind of sand to use. I have attempted to plant a carpet,which did not work presumably because of the pleco I just got rid of. Even without the pleco I still find it hard to carpet though I have high light and co2. Should I try something else with the glosso or just use a different carpet plant. Also, should I cover everything in a carpet or only some parts? You might also notice huge clumps of ugly sludge in this picture or the last. These are buildups of fish waste and clumps of christmas moss. I got rid of the pleco to take care of alot of fish waste, but what should I do to keep waste out? Should I get rid of the christmas moss?

Problem area 2:

With problem area 2, I am focusing on my main plant, myriophyllum mattogrossense. It is all in a really ugly clump as I cannot seem to plant it correctly even with tweezers. Should I get rid of all of it or should I keep some and replant it? How would I replant it?

Thank you so much for helping me with my problem! I am ashamed of my aquascape and I hope you guys will help me turn it into something beautiful!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I have the images off imgur, so they should all be set to public, if you can't see them I'll give a link:
In order the first second and third images are where the missing ones should be. The other two images in the album are additional problem areas that I would like help with. Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi wowsee,
You have a lot of work to do aha,
First i'd recommend you replace your substrate with something more appropriate for the plants you wish to keep. I would say a fine grained sand is a great start for generally most plants that are on the beginner to intermediate level unless you want to spend big and get the substrate the 'pros' use but i myself don't believe in that stuff, just my opinion you don't have to agree.

With your BBA it may be forming in the areas where there is not a lot of flow in the tank, try your best to create and equal amount of flow within the tank.

If it was my tank i'd keep the things you like about the tank and discard the things i do not like, you said about the rockwork but i can only see one rock not sure if it's me or.. trim the plants and get rid of the duckweed it spreads way to quickly and ends up an overall mess.

To replant your plants trim them appropriately and have a thick layer of sand so the roots can establish and anchor the plant down, the trimming will help prevent the plant from floating.

I do enjoy the setup of plants behind the rock you have in there i think that would be quite effective it is was a thick 'forest' in the corners of the tank in the midground and leave the middle bare and focus on balancing the sides i feel as though a tank with a bare middle and a slop of substrate either side is inviting.

My number one aquascaping tip is the 'rule of thirds' many aquascaping websites explain hoe this can be applied to aquariums

·
Registered
55 Posts
Myriophyllum mattogrossense is an absolute weed.

I think you should clear your tank of hardscape and concentrate on growing the myriophyllum mattogrossense. It is a very easy plant. What is your substrate? Quartz with peat under? I can't tell but it looks like you capped something. Do you use any fertilizer? NPK? trace?

Clean your tank and plant the myriophyllum mattogrossense. Cut the tops to about 4 to 5 inches. Grab bottom with tweezers and drive them 2 to 3 inches into the substrate. Wiggle tweezers back out letting the substrate fill in and grab the stem. Plant them an inch or little more apart.

Clean as much of the BBA as you can. You can kill what remains in time with excel later.

Learn to grow the plants before you worry about aquascaping.

The duckweed? Use a net and get it off the surface. Do it daily.

Come up with a fert plan.
Are you using pressurized co2?
Clean tank ...... stay after it. When plants are growing well you will know. They will be beautiful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts