Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just when i thought everything was perfect in my tank (in terms of conditions) i test for gh and lo and behold the first drop turned green, indicating that the gh is either 0 or very close to it. i have the following chemicals: CaCl2 and MgSO4. interesting to note that the water out the faucet is also gh=0 so frequent water changes wont help :(

i would like some help in figuring out how much of each chemical (in grams) to add to my 55 gallon tank to raise the gh to by 1 degree of general hardness (~18ppm) in a 4:1 ratio between the calcium and the magnesium.

i would have done the calculations myself but i am finding this to be a very hard problem and i doubt my chemistry skills will be good enough to figure it out on my own, perhaps someone with lots of skill could help me out?

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thank you both for helping with the calculations! it obviously took you a long time to complete them, thanks for taking the time to help me! just one thing i need to clarify on though.
Salt: when you said "For 55 gallons, this would be 4.37 grams CaCl2*2H2O and 1.83 grams of MgSO4*7H2O."

i assume you ment add 4.37 grams CaCl2*2H2O and 1.83 grams of MgSO4*7H2O to raise 55gal by 1 Gh?

Also, thanks for the warning about not mixing these chemicals together in the same container. i didnt know they reacted. though if they react in a container wouldnt they just react in my fishtank anyway? should i replace the Gh every week or just wait until water change day?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.