Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 connected nano tanks - they share water! |10g|5g|4.5g|3.5g|2g|1.5g| Need some help learning! (:
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lol not sure why it is crossing out my post! Just ignore that. XD Not sure what is going on!!

Help! With my (Q's?) I am new here! Hello! :)

Hi I am new to this Forum and well, not "new" to the aquarium hobby with my 5 aquariums. But I feel like I need a bit of a lesson from fellow tank friends and maybe some upgrades to my knowledge! I am not trying cause an angry mob, I want to learn how to better myself though! :)

Below are some of my (Q's?) I need help with!

All my life, well okay... since my college experience... I fell in love with underwater world. It started out with some gravel, snails, plant clippings from my local library. I was facinated with underwater snails! Then I went to the creek and caught a tiny crayfish. I put him in the large plastic cup. Boom. Instant love at this tiny cup ecosystem. I released him the following day....Then I upgraded to a 1.5 gallon tank with a pump, bubbler and light for a beta fish. Again I loved the clippings the library gave me! Slowly I kept expanding my aquarium hobby and had three? 4.5 - 5gal tanks given to me. I bought pumps, lights and filters for each and got nano fish, live plants and snails for TWO. And for the third, is going to be a "seamonkey" saltwater - brackish tank. With heaters and an air filter. (Current project) Then one Christmas I got my first 10 gallon. It is my biggest aquarium and had a cool half and half sand - gravel set up. Live plants that are underwater ferns.

I know my tanks less then ten gallons could be considered "bad" but I only have 1 gourami in one 2 fish in the other. The third was brine shrimp and fourth (1.5gal) has a few white cloud minnows. With no heater. For me these tanks were huge upgrades over my plastic cups and are all in use currently!

(Q?) With my tanks I want to grow more live plants. Some have died off in my tanks... and I want more... I don't know where to obtain live plants... or even shrimp that are low prices. I really would like scrap plants.. that would be thrown out in my tanks....

Another factor is that. I don't have a job, these tanks are gifts to me... and I have a very limited budget. . .

I want to try a Walstadd tank with my smallest aquarium (1.5) since Walstad is known to be good for fish bowls and the like.

(Q?) Another thing to note IS due to money factors. I never tested any of the waters in my entire fish tank - fish "cup" career. Ever since I started, I never could find a cheap reliable test kit. So I go with gut instinct most of the time... okay ALL the time... How could I go about all these water tests for 5 aquariums? Eeek.

(Q?) Also since the above I know nothing about what is considered good or bad water or "healthy or poor" water parameters...

(Q?) I need a way to fertilize the plants in my current non Walstad tanks too... Miracle grow blue powder you mix into the water? Where do I begin with that? I don't know......

(Q?) With Walstadd, do all the plants die off in the long run?

I am not really a new aquarium person, but I never fully got the full lesson. I just always Macgyver'd them and just threw a bunch of rocks n' plants in a cup and called it a day!

(Q?) Where [besides my brine tank] do I go from here with my aqarium hobby? My fish have been quite happy with my weekly-ish water changes and algae scrubs... yeah I lost a few... but to me I thought it was natural. Do I buy a ton of plants online? But they might need fertilizer... how do I keep happy plants? What is this CO2 deal? Besides my 5 tanks. I don't know where to start with my upgrading since I don't have enough plants for the Walstadd method. . . And don't know where to go from here!!! Help!

(Q?) How often should I wash my filters? I use pillow stuffing in them and rinse them out until they are white again and re-suff them. That is my tank filtration. Tank lighting? I get this hard algae in my tank I need to use a razor blade on to get off if I light my tanks at all. . .

·
Registered
6 connected nano tanks - they share water! |10g|5g|4.5g|3.5g|2g|1.5g| Need some help learning! (:
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Formatting issues. Will post it back in a sec

Huh. Still appears crossed out. Not sure why. Got to "wait and see"

·
Super Moderator
5,891 Posts
Welcome to APC! For some reason the automatic spam filter identified your post as suspect. I approved it, but now I have no idea why some parts are crossed out.

You ask many good questions in your post. Since we are having problems with formatting, I suggest that you start new discussions with just one or two questions in each.

Thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to APC! For some reason the automatic spam filter identified your post as suspect. I approved it, but now I have no idea why some parts are crossed out.

You ask many good questions in your post. Since we are having problems with formatting, I suggest that you start new discussions with just one or two questions in each.

Thanks for your patience.
Lol. It thinks I am SUS? XD That is HILARIOUS. The new guys always get picked on!

Oh goodness this will be a wild ride. XD [Jumping right in!] I will have to make sure to manage them.

Thank you by the way. Its lovely to meet you too! ♡

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mistergreen helped me learn how to fix my posts. Just fixed this one. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts