Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here. I actually stumbled upon these message boards in search of information of Schultz Aquatic plant soil because I am having some problem with it. I found this thread. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/science-aquatic-substrates/48987-aquatic-soil-2.html

I recently bought some due to all the good things i was hearing about it online. I was really excited about it, but that quickly changed. I put my aquatic plant soil in a 60 gal tank and it looked really nice. I decided to check the water parameters just to make sure everything was ok (just to make sure the soil was not doing anything) and boy was I surprised. My ammonia levels are through the roof. I immediately took my fish out. I then tried a different ammonia test that I had and it agreed with my first one. I also went to my LFS and their tests also turned up the same thing. So my fish are in a temporary home until this is resolved :(.

I also tried putting some left over plant soil and clean water in a separate container and that container also ended up being saturated by ammonia, so the aquatic plant soil is the culprit.

So I wanted to know if anyone has experienced this before. Is this normal? What can I do about it? Help would be greatly appreciated since my fish are all crammed into a smaller tank at the moment :(.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not wash it at first. >.< I did however try to wash some that I had left over and it did not seem to make a difference. I even tried boiling it in water with some success but it did not get rid of all of it. I also called the number on the back of the bag and all they could tell me was that it releases carbonic gas when first immersed in water. I don't really know how that could account for ammonia.

Currently I have taken all the gravel out and am washing it over and over, but it is not doing much.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts