Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also having a problem with this soil. Despite its claims to not cloud the water and be safe for fish, the water is very cloud, and the fish are distressed.

The directions on the bag didn't say anything about needing to rinse the soil. Did I get a defective bag?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also having a problem with this soil. Despite its claims to not cloud the water and be safe for fish, the water is very cloud, and the fish are distressed.

The directions on the bag didn't say anything about needing to rinse the soil. Did I get a defective bag?
Okay, I just tested the water, the ammonia level is sky high! #%*&!

·
Registered
3 Posts
You really have to wash it like crazy. It is sold as a soil for pots to put in ponds. In that regard it doesn't affect your water that much. However, we are using it as a substrate which means a much high ratio of soil to water.

I have a ridiculous amount of tanks with this soil and I wash it repeatedly in 1/3 bag portions before adding it to a tank.
This is just astounding to me. I was using it in a pond, though a small half barrel one. Why don't the directions say "for use in large bodies of water only"???

I've had this pond for seven years, and this was the first time I tried a commercial product for potting my plants. Never again. :mmph:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts